cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MP620 error U150: "The following ink tank cannot be recognized" for not one but all tanks

RevCanonX
Contributor

My Canon PIXMA MP620 is showing error message U150: "The following ink tank cannot be recognized." But it indicates all the ink tanks, not only one.

I wanted to copy a page, but when I pressed the copy button I got the error message. When I tried printing a sample page from my computer I got the equivalent error message on that.

When I opened up the printer all the ink tank lights were out. I lifted and replaced each one and the lights went back on, but after I closed the lid and the reset process had run, the same message came up. I did this again, taking the tanks right out before replacing them. Same result.

I visited the Canon support pages (http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/InkJet/PIXMA_MP_seri... and looked up the entry for this error message, which simply says to install or replace the affected tank. That's not much help when it's all of them and even replacing a tank does not get it in working order. Something more seems to be wrong than just a dodgy tank. 

The 521BK (black) tank was almost empty, so I changed that, but even that tank did not register. I'm beginning to wonder if the problem lies not with the ink tanks but the printer itself.

I'm using only Canon branded ink tanks from a reputable retailer, in the correct packaging, fresh out of the packet when installed. The printer has been printing fine with these individual tanks up to now. They are all part way through their supply. I can't understand why all of them would go at once, unless the problem is with the printer not the ink tanks.

Anyone have any light to shed on the subject?

9 REPLIES 9

RevCanonX
Contributor
Mystery ... today it's working. Now why on earth would that be??? What was the glitch, and how did it fix itself? It was turned off overnight, but why would it fix itself just like that?

April 8 2014

I just now experienced same problem. Mine is for the larger, black cartridge only.

I've replaced the cartridge, cleaned as described in the manual and other onilne Canon owner sites.

Mine will not recover / clear the error message.

I have shut it off, and hopefully overnight, the tech freak god will visit me as it did you, and clear this error.

Will update ....

Sorry to disappoint you, but I couldn't fix the problem, and my local computer shop said it was not something they could fix. I looked up "how to fix ..." by online search, and found any number of videos purporting to show how to fix the problem ... by throwing it out of a window, using a sledgehammer, running a vehicle over it ... you name it, all the variations on the theme.

So I ended up with an "upgrade" -- a new printer. Still Canon, though. Overall I'm happy with them, tho' I could do with cartridge prices coming down to a more realistic level ...

Yes, thanks for  your follow-up .. .Mine did not work after the day-long shut off.

I am gonna risk buying a new black ink cartridge since my machine seems to just be running the error on the black alone.

Good luck with your new one.

I will probably upgrade too, if this does not work.  I cannot complain about this machine. I had two, one for office and one for home. Both took A LOT of use. And, i used no-name refill cartridges and no-name refill ink for over half the time on the home machine.

This one, the home one lasted about 6 years, the other about 4+1/2 . I think that is pretty **bleep** (lol it censored the correct spelling of 'dam') good mileage for a fairly inexpensive machine, that got very high ratings, and gave me all those features.

Good Luck.

Hi MBankaT,

We recommend removing all of the ink tanks and print head from the printer, then reseating them to try and resolve the issue.  Once this is completed, If replacing the ink tank as well as unplugging the printer and leaving it out for at least 10 minutes, then plugging it back in and turning it on does not resolve the U150 error, the printer willl require servicing.  Please Contact Us for your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Mine is BRAND new pixma. I set it up and It printed just 4 pages and then it would not print anymore saying the catridges not compatible. but they are the cartridges taht came with the printer. Its NEW! and then I went and bought cartridges and STILl no red light comes on. I did all suggested. Removed print head, and then put back cartridges,  plug out printer and wait overnight. Still not working! Its very stressful now to pack it up and send it back. I am very upset. I am  travelling a nd bought this pixma for travel!

Hi JenniferHilton,

Since the troubleshooting steps performed did not resolve the error, the printer will require servicing.  Please call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

My problem comes out of a clear blue sky but only one ink tank seems to be not recognizable, the small black tank.

The forum seems to have multiple reports of the problem but no solutions.

I can do nothing with my MG7520 now that it is in the error mode.  No turning it on/off or dormant overnight has worked.

Previously all my Jarbo ink cartriges worked fine.  Now they don't.

LarryAU
Apprentice
Having used Canon printers for years, this is the last straw. Never buying a Canon printer again !
Announcements