cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needs Color to Print Black?

easiebold
Apprentice

Why does my MG7500 series printer refuse to print draft greyscale unless I have color cartridges?

I am missing a yellow cartridge this evening, yet I need to print an all text document in greyscale, draft.

Yet it won't let me proceed.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Allen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In other words... by trying to bypass the colors, in reality I forced my printer to USE the colors.

Sigh.... I appreciate knowing this for the next time. 

Thank you!

Allen

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SamanthaW

Hi!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

When using greyscale the color ink tanks are the ones that get used. Since you are missing your yellow it won't be able to do so. We recommend standard color printing with draft mode to conserve ink, as text automatically prints from the black cartridge when the default print settings are selected. 

We hope this helps!

In other words... by trying to bypass the colors, in reality I forced my printer to USE the colors.

Sigh.... I appreciate knowing this for the next time. 

Thank you!

Allen

Just reinforces my opinion- never trust a printer company to tell you the the truth "up front" about how to save ink - not in their best economic interests. Foolish because the customer bad-will reinforced by this scam is much more than if the printer company (Canon in this case) were to be up-front and honest.

Announcements