cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Pixma printer gives message "printer offline." How do I correct this? Computer is Mac 10.6.8

cbw
Apprentice

"Printer offline" problem.  How to correct.

19 REPLIES 19

Jessica
Enthusiast

Hi cbw!
So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what model printer you're using and any error messages you're getting. Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue! Thanks and have a great day!

I'm having the same problem.  Everything has been working fine until yesterday.  I am wondering if it has to do with my OS X upgrade to Mavericks.  Any ideas?

pixma mx410 operating with windows8.  The printer is offline.
Check that the printer cable is connected and the printer power is on. Thisis the message I continually receive after checkig the status of my printer and set up.

PatriciaValyan,

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi I have a Pixma MG2540S printer it dont want to scan after my laptop updated yesterday. I says that the printer is not connected or the plug is not in. What do I do I plug and switch on the printer. Need help please.

cbw
Apprentice

I am using a Mac with OS 10.6.8 and a Canon MP600 printer.  I now cannot print;  I can only see the "printer offline" message.  Everyithing has been fine for years, but someone in the house may have hit the wrong button.

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello cbw.

For testing purposes, please try plugging the printer directly to a Wall outlet.  If the issue persists, please try using a different USB cable and ensure that the cable is connected to the USB port on the back area of the printer.  Also, ensure that the USB cable is connected directly to the computer and not through any USB hubs or extension cables.

If the error persists, please try the following adjustment:

1.  Click the Apple and choose 'System Preferences'.

2.  Open the 'Print and Fax' menu.

3.  Highlight and delete any copies of the Canon Printer listed on the left by clicking the minus (-) sign.

4.  Click the plus (+) sign.

5.  Click 'Default' on the upper left corner.  Wait a few moments, then highlight the USB version of the printer. 

6.  Click 'Add' on the bottom right corner when it becomes available.

The setup should be complete.  Try printing to test the connection with the printer.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you!  Deleting all the printers and then readding, really solved the problem!

I’m also using a Mac with OS10.6.8 with Canon MP600 printer. Today I got my first inexplicable “offline” message in seven years of use, affecting both the printer and the scanner functions on the MP600.

Michael’s advice gave me the confidence to 'have a go'.  I followed it through to 4 but then couldn't add the printer: clicking ‘Default’ had no effect and so the ‘Add’ button didn’t become available.  I could get no further.

I began to think my USB cable might be faulty but had no other device available on which to test it and no spare USB cable either.

I then tried shutting down and restarting the computer. Once it was up and running again, I found it had recognized and automatically added the MP600 to the ‘Print & Fax’ menu.

I’m still baffled by what caused the “offline” event but printer and scanner are now both working well again. Many thanks!

Announcements