cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My MG5620 will not print black.

paulmansell
Apprentice

My MG5620 wants me to replace my 251BK refill. I do not want to do that as I have a large 250XL  PGBK cartridge installed which I want it to use for my black printing. Why will it not just use the larger cartridge. 

5 REPLIES 5

Danny

Hi, paulmansell!

The two black ink tanks in your printer serve different purposes.  The larger black tank is used on regular paper for document printing.  The smaller black tank is used for color printing.  It allows the color black to be faithfully reproduced, and it adds extra depth as needed to the other colors in a color image.  One cannot be used in place of the other as the ink inside has a different composition.

If you need to replace an ink tank, click HERE and use our Ink & Toner Finder.

We hope this helps!

Can I just set my printer to rint black only as I do not print photos and seldon need the colour option.

I am just trying to print a black document on normal paper.

When you go to print a document, check the printer's menu on your computer for an option for either "black and white printing" or "grayscale printing."  You may need to do this before each print job, and it will minimize the use of your color ink tanks.

Have a great day!

Even when I select Black and White it will not print and shows "printer detected ink out condition" and points to small cartridge. Also says support code 1689. If I purchase a small cartridge and install it what are the chances that the printer will just use it instead of the large cartridge.

Hello.

The 1689  error indicates that the ink tank is empty. 

Please install a new, genuine Canon brand ink cartridge that has not been reused or refilled to clear the error and resume printing.

If the error persists or you need additional assistance, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements