cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 scanner problem message: set the pc to start scanning

Denise
Apprentice

I am trying to scan using my MX922 printer.  I am getting a message: "set the pc to start scanning." Can't find what this means.

88 REPLIES 88

beverleyfunnell
Apprentice

re MG5600 how do I "set the pc to start scanning"

Forgive me if this has been responded to before.  Here is the solution for the MX-922, and it should also work for other models.

Open "Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector EX"   Enter this in the search box next to the windows logo (lower left in Windows 10), or otherwise navigate to this item.  When it opens, hit "OK"  The scanner will now work for a while.  You may have to do this from time to time.

Because of the frequency with which I get  thsi message, I created a shortcut for this file, and placed it in my task bar (you can also put it on y our desktop, pin it to the start key ,etc.  The bottom line is, whenever I get the "set the pc" message, I am only two clicks from getting it working.

Go and look at the submission by stlane on 3/9/2016....I think he may have a better explanation of the solution that I just posted.  It is where I found the solution six months ago.

Try this approach first, because it is simple and doesn't require complicated stuff like loading new drivers.  

jonimkiser
Apprentice

stlane
Apprentice
I ended up putting the shortcut in my Start folder so that every time I reboot it pops up - as you say, 2 clicks and I'm done with it and it seems to "last" as long as I don't reboot so this works for me.

contrails
Apprentice

I have Windows 10. I used to be able to scan from the Operational Panel on the scanner but now I have to scan from my computer, why? I don't see anything on the menu page or in the manual to fix this.

gumgum
Apprentice

hi i konw this is very old post ... but  i got same problem here what i did you fix this ..... i resteup every thing by looking to setup guide and every thing start working good, i will suggest you to look at the canon mx922 manual and restart your setup 

tt2
Apprentice

Hi, I have windows 10 and having the same issue when scanning. Please help.

Hi tt2,

You will need to have the Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector EX program running on your computer in order to scan from the operation panel of the printer. To ensure it is running, from the WINDOWS menu on your computer, select ALL APPS, then CANON UTILITIES, then IJ NETWORK SCANNER SELECTOR EX.

Once the program is running, please attempt to scan again.  Should you continue to experience difficulty, we ask that you please contact a Canon technical support representative at one of the methods provided here for further assistance. A representative will be happy to assist you free of charge.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

msquared42
Apprentice

This has happened to me a few times.  Today I found a simple fix.

My printer is on a wired network on a switch.

First, I noticed that when this problem comes up, the lights on the port to which the printer is connected don't light up.

Ah-ha number one - something reset the printer to wireless.  Or something.

1) At the MX922, I go into menu button -> setup -> device settings -> LAN settings -> change wireless/wired and select wired.  When I do this, the lights on the switch at the MX922's port light up again.

2) At my PC, I go into the start menu -> Canon utilities -> IJ Network Scanner Selector EX -> click the button Scan-from-Operation-Panel Settings, click OK, then OK.

And now my PC shows up as an option in scan -> save/forward-> PC

I hope this helps others, it was reading posts here that helped me understand what is going on with my setup.

I suspect if your MX922 is on wireless, make sure that step 1 goes to wireless (or re-set it up) and the passwords necessary to access the wireless are entered in the MX922, then do step 2.

Announcements