cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 Black is blurry when printing on discs

parkerg3
Contributor

I have a MX922 that prints normally on paper, and in all other colors, but when I print black items such as text on a DVD, the text is ghosted and blurry, as though the printhead was misaligned.  However, printing on paper does not cause this issue.  I have changed print cartridges, cleaned the timing belt, upgraded the firmware, performed the print alignment test multiple times, and tried different discs with different surface textures - but nothing works.  The print alignment test always comes out perfectly on paper.  And, as I mentioned above, its only for items that print with black - or contain black.  For example, text in colors that do not need black added to them print as crisp and sharp as they do on paper.  I've performed every level of cleaning on the heads, but with no effect.  I'm assuming it's a defect in the black print head - but I'm open to any suggestion as to how to resolve.  Thanks!

22 REPLIES 22

Ramona
Authority

Hi parkerg3,

So we can better assist you, please reply with the following information:

1.  What operating system is on your computer (version of Windows or Mac).

2.  What program you are using to print on the DVDs.

3.  The exact text that appears from top to bottom on the label of the ink tanks used in the printer.

We look forward to hearing from you!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The top label of my ink tanks read as follows:

Canon

CLI-251XL

<BK>

Ink Tank

Black

Made In Japan

UPC

251xl

BK

Here is a scan of some example text and logos on a disc.  Note the ghosting on the DVD logo and Black text.  It's not as noticeable on the brown text and completely absent on the blue.Disc Scan.jpg

So was there any resolution? I have the exact same problem!  😞

Unfortunately, no.  I have changed cartridges (OEM and third party), run every diagnostic / calibration available multiple times, updated the firmware and drivers, tried different computers, different cables, and different applications to print to the disc (such as photoshop) and nothing works.  I've worked around the issue by changing anything black to a different color, but it doesn't really fix the problem.  Let me know if you find something that works!  

Hi parkerg3,

Based on your description of the issue, the Encoder Film inside the printer may be smeared. Please follow the procedures below to check the film condition, and clean it when necessary:

1. Press the power button to turn your PIXMA MX922 off.

2. Unplug the power cord from the printer. Be sure to turn off the printer power and unplug the power cord first.

3. Open the Paper Output Cover.

4. Check if the Encoder Film inside the printer is clear. The Encoder Film is the transparent thin film.

Encoder strip.jpg

5. If the Encoder Film is smeared as shown in the image, it needs to be cleaned.

6. Place a few drops of neutral detergent (2 to 3 drops of neutral detergent in 1/4 cup of tap water) on a cotton swab with water. CAUTION: Do not use any other detergents.

7. Moisten a cotton swab with the prepared cleaning water. Eliminate extra water so that no water drops.

8. Using the moistened cotton swab, wipe the Encoder Film. CAUTION: Be cautious so that no water drops inside the printer.

CAUTION: Do not contact the rail. If the rail is contacted, the print quality may be deteriorated. The Encoder Film is fixed to the printer with the springs at the ends. If the film is pushed too strong, it may be dislocated. Do not push the film. Just gently move the cotton swab over the surface of the film.

Also, please keep your hands off the printer and clean the film with the tip of the cotton swab. Change the cotton swab to new ones frequently.

9. Eliminate any stains or smearing from the film until the entire film becomes transparent and clear.

10. If the trail of detergent is left on the film, clean it using a cotton swab that is moistened with just water. If moisture is left on the film, eliminate it using a dry cotton swab, and wait until the film dries well.

11. Close the Paper Output Cover, and plug in the power cord of the printer.

12. Press the power button to turn your PIXMA MX922 on.

13. Please print a test page.

14. If the problem persists, check and clean the Encoder Film again.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Found more on cleaning encoder strip on Canon website but cleaning still did not help.  😞

http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&secu...

I am wondering if in fact it is not printing two images from two different black ink tanks and their alignments being off from each other? Is there a way to choose which black you want to use?

One work around I found that doesn't really solve the problem but instead copes with it is to print in near black. I found that printing text at R:15, G:15, B:30 worked well for me. The ghosting was gone though where was a tolerable amount of shotgun splatter around the near black text which is totally absent in lighter colors.

Announcements