cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX920 won't print in black and white when color cartridges are empty

talentetta
Apprentice

For over a year at least, my color cartridges have been empty, and I haven't had a problem printing or copying in black and white until now. I have an error on the machine that says to replace the 3 color cartridges. I only need black, so how can I work around this error and get back to printing? Recently the lg black 255 was out of ink, but it was still printing fine. I replaced that cartridge with a generic refill, but that hasn't helped. I still get the picture showing arrows to the 3 color cartridges, which are empty. I never printed in color, and yet they all drained down, even though I had grayscale and draft selected.

I am running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Thinkpad.

37 REPLIES 37

Let me tell you what I read out of this. Your printer dialogue box does not have a selection for Black Only. Why?? Because your company has decided to force color printer use.

When I have a full, large, mostly new black cartridge and your printer won't print a tax form, that is a company decision.

I make decisions too. Here is mine. I WILL NOT buy a color printer to print a tax form. I'll buy a printer instead. Do you think it will be a Canon printer?  It won't be. Do you think I'll cave and buy a color cartridge? I won't. I won't be buying ANY Canon products until it's been far enough down the road that I forget how you treated me this time.  Do you think that will happen soon? It won't. 

This is a software issue, plain and simple, and those decisions were made in a fashion to fleece your customers. From this chat box I see you've made plenty of others mad. Will they relent and buy color? You might know but I don't know. I know only me and I WILL NOT buy a color cartridge to print in black and white. I will not use this printer. I will replace it if I don't get some satisfactory response, and I promise you, I do not expect one. Your company and your choices. My money will not be spent in  your direction unless I have to eat crow, apologize to many others here I commented to. I bet you'll save me the effort and make no changes, forcing me TO  make a change, in printer brands.

No wonder Canon is a dying company. Corporate greed at it's finest. If you want to steal be subtle about it. This is like stealing in daylight. People aren't that stupid. Returning my MX920. You lost a customer today. A very stupid decision from Canon's end. This printer is a scam!

This single thing is going to stop me from buying Canon products in the future. This is a software issue and is deliberately designed to fail printing in Black and White if out of a color.

This is a very crappy situation. I want to print a tax form and since my magenta is out, you won't allow me to print a black and white form.

Update your software and resolve this issue.

tsdragon
Apprentice

This is truely a sleazy business tactic.  Very dissapointed in Canon for this.  Why should having a color cartridge empty stop black and white printing?

Well now we know Canon would choose $$$ over product qaulity and customer satisfaction/loyalty.

Shame on you Canon.  I will not be buying another Canon product going forward.

luvecerviere
Apprentice

Time to switch to Epson. This is frustrating.

jhbendigo
Apprentice

This is disgracefull Canon.  So underhanded by the company and so wasteful resource wise. My colour tanks have been emptied by the cleaning process alone.  I too can no longer print in black and white and I can't scan documents either.  I will never buy Canon again.

TanToes
Apprentice
Underhanded like 99% of the business world

It happened here today. Canon is a very very lausy printer. No ever the scanner works right. The automatic paper feeding has lot of problems too ! Will never buy one again . Now I cant print. All stores are closed and Canon has made my worflow more problematic ! Go back to HP ! I´m going back. Cannon NEVER AGAIN. I´ll puit a video on youtube recommending users NEVER TO buy Canon.

loose_canon2
Apprentice

I joined the community explicitly for this post. First,  I recognize Canon's duty to the share holders to maximize profits and ink is a big part of the profit picture. On the other hand, keeping a loyal customer base also has some merit. I have a relatively new MX920 series for our small business and recently purchased a TS5020 (still in the box) for household use. I usually print in grayscale/duplex mode and documents often exceed an hundred pages. Until a colored tank went empty in the middle of a grayscale job I was unaware that the colored tanks were being used for ALL duplex printing. To end this somewhat verbose post let me say that the TS5020 is going back and we are replacing the MX920. The savings on ink will be significant not to mention the irritation factor. I wish Canon every success, just not with my money or anyone I may influence.

Klimko66
Apprentice
This issue is ridiculous
I have all new colors but one because the store didn’t have it -and it still won’t print!
Very annoying, now I have to pause work and school because of this?????
I joined this forum because I am letting everyone know that Canon, never again.
You lost a customer.
Announcements