cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX920 says printer is out of paper but the paper is full

mbotrell
Apprentice

MY MX920 gives me the message that there is no paper in the printer, but the paper is full. I have urned off the printer multiple times and each time it gives me the same problem. Any suggestions?

52 REPLIES 52

it had fixed itself this morning, didnt do a thing... it just started printed as though it haddent given me hours of trouble yesterday .

dyen
Apprentice

I got my daughter a MX920 last month and she got the same problem printing from her ipad.  At first the problem seems inconsistent - she can print something some times and ran into "out of paper (upper)..." error some other time.  What I have noticed is that the errors seem to happen whenever she prints from certain app such as camera roll, or printing certain image file.  Reading the response from Canon support, it does sound like the app would dictate what paper to use when print.  And I suppose it makes sense for the picture/camera app to tell the printer to use picture paper (from upper tray) to print an image file.

To work around the problem, I've asked her, instead of printing the picture directly from the camera roll, copy the image and paste it into some notepad app (notability is what she has) and print from there.  Meanwhile, I have the print setting sets to Letter as the paper size.  And it prints without a problem.

Hope it helps.

So, basically what Canon is saying, is "You can only print CERTAIN sized documents from the lower tray.  Even though the tray is fully adjustable to accomodate most any custom size, if you try to select and enter a custom size, we're going to force the printer to print from the upper tray.  For no real reason.  And just to make it even MORE frustrating, the upper tray only allows about half the adjustment potential of the lower tray."

jouzts
Apprentice

I have had my printer for 1 week.  I printed just fine last week. this morning i printed some 4X6 pictures and now i can't print anything because "I am out of paper"...nope, the paper tray is full. i have taken it out moved guides, turned it off and everything else people have mentioned.  has anyone had a fix for this issue??

antonia208
Apprentice

I managed to fix this issue on my computer by ditching AirPrint!

I had the same issue. Canon MX920 worked fine for 2-3 weeks after purchasing it, then suddenly each print job would generate the error "no paper in upper cassette" despite every setting I could find being set to print 8.5x11 paper.  I tried deleting the printer and reinstalling and it did not fix the problem.  

Then I tried the deleting the printer one more time, and when I was on the page to re-install it, there is was dropdown selecting the correct software to use.  Mine was set to "AirPrint" but when I chose the "Canon MX920" setting instead, it automaticlaly downloaded and installed the Canon software instead and then it started working again!

Hi antonia208.

Thanks for suggesting that we use the "Canon MX920" setting instead of "AirPrint".

Followed your instructions and it worked like a charm.

Woo hoo!

suzanne820
Apprentice

I have done everything listed in this thread to get my printer to quit throwing the 1008 code (no paper in tray).  I am still unable to print!  What other way to remedy this problem is there? 

Hi suzanne820,

It is recommended that you contact live technical support . There is NO charge for this call. Real time feedback of a live technical support call would be very beneficial in this case.

Please dial 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). A Canon technical support representative will be able to resolve this issue faster.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This is most probably a driver issue, nothing to do with paper size or type. I have been on several forums and Canon reps do not know the answer. At least for Macs, changing printer drivers to Gutenprint drivers solves the issue. The drivers should be installed first, then the printer should be removed and added again in the printer preference pane. But then one needs to choose CUPS-Gutenprint rather than Canon driver.

On my Mac running 10.11.3 the 2-year old printer showed code 1007 (upper cassette empty).

I also ran into this problem today with a Canon PIxma MG5420.  I have not used the upper tray in ages, and botom tray has paper, but printer insists on trying to print from upper tray.  Really annoying is that I went through all of the settings I could access from the printer itself, several times, and could find nothing about which tray to use.

Based on another post in this thread, I repeated the process of printing the desired web page.  But this time, I dug into whatever print settings I could find from the print page, and likely found the cupprit.  It's probably Google Chrome.  Or possibly AWS.

I was trying to print a report from the Amazon Web Services site while using Chrome.  On the page was a "Print" button.  That brings up a popup window of printer settings.  Then had to click the link with label "More settings", which brings up a setting for "Paper size".  This was set to "4 x 6".  When I changed that to "Letter", and clicked the "Print" button, the page printed with no problem.  So apparently, because this was set to "4 x 6", some logic somewhere decided the printer needed to use the upper tray and not the lower tray.  I do not know any good reason why the value "4 x 6" was selected for paper size.  I have not selected that size.  And with that setting, it wanted to print 2 pages, so it does not seem like a case of "what needs to be printed will fit in 4 x 6 box".

I don't know if it's Chrome or the AWS website that caused the erroneous Paper size of "4 x 6".  Though it does seem as if the Canon software ought to give better clues as to what is going on and provide a way to specify the correct paper tray.

Announcements