cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX472 Printer Prints in Blue When Copying Anything Black

mrcando
Apprentice

When I go to make a straight black and white copy of any black and white printed image using ONLY the start / black button on the printer, it prints in blue ink only. Both color and black ink cartridges are operational. If I print out a black and white image from the pc hard drive, the printed copy is black and white as it should be. This MX472 printer has never had a firmware update, but it's hard to believe that could be the fix.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi mrcando,

Press press the MENU button and then the arrow keys until Media Type appears.

What is the Media Type set to?  Please make sure that it is set to Plain paper.

Press the arrow key until Image quality appears.

Please set that to Standard.

Once Plain paper / Standard has been set, please attempt to make a copy again.

Is the copy still blue?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

Whoo Hoo!!!! You did it, Patrick!

It was not set to Plain Paper, but it WAS set to Standard. I don't think I have ever had any reason to have selected anything other than Plain Paper in the past, but that must have been the problem. It would never occur to me that the type of media would tell the printer to make a copy in blue of an original that was black.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to fix this for me. I was on the verge of throwing this printer on the trash heap until I was fortunate enough to have found you.

Thanks again,

mrcando

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi mrcando,

Let's make sure that your PIXMA MX472 is printing correctly.  Please follow these steps:

1. Load letter-sized, plain paper in the rear Tray.

2. Press the SETUP button.

3. Press the left or right button until [MAINTENANCE] is displayed in the LCD, and then press OK.

4. Press the left or right button until [Nozzle check] is displayed in the LCD, and then press OK. The nozzle check pattern is printed. Please compare your printout to the example that has been attached below.

Does your printout match the example I've provided?

MX472 Nozzle Check.jpg.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your reply.

Yes, the printout perfectly matches the example you provided. What is my next option?

BillS
Mentor

Hi mrcando,

In order to further clarify the issue, allow me to ask a couple questions:

• Do you get the same effect when using the color button on the printer?
  • What is written on the ink cartridge labels, from top to bottom?

I look forward to your reply.

Yes, I get the same blue color when copying something that is black, when I use the COLOR button on the printer.

The label on the current color cartridge reads: Canon CL-241, FINE Cartridge, Made in Japan, 241, Color.

The label on the current black cartridge reads: Canon, PG-240XL, FINE Cartridge, Made in Japan, 240XL, Black.

And of course, I do have the color cartridge and the black cartridge in their coresponding places.

Hi mrcando,

Press press the MENU button and then the arrow keys until Media Type appears.

What is the Media Type set to?  Please make sure that it is set to Plain paper.

Press the arrow key until Image quality appears.

Please set that to Standard.

Once Plain paper / Standard has been set, please attempt to make a copy again.

Is the copy still blue?

Whoo Hoo!!!! You did it, Patrick!

It was not set to Plain Paper, but it WAS set to Standard. I don't think I have ever had any reason to have selected anything other than Plain Paper in the past, but that must have been the problem. It would never occur to me that the type of media would tell the printer to make a copy in blue of an original that was black.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to fix this for me. I was on the verge of throwing this printer on the trash heap until I was fortunate enough to have found you.

Thanks again,

mrcando

Announcements