cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX 920 won't print

cjon
Contributor

Just purchased a new MX920 and set it up following the enclosed directions.  It won't auto-adjust the head alighment.  In fact, I can't make it print anything at all.  Regardless of what I try, it feeds a blank page.

I have to think I've missed somehing in the setup, but for the life of me, I can't see what it is. (Yes, all the printer carts have the tape stripped off...)  I'm not a complete noob.

Any thoughts?

CJon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi cjon,

All the packing material is bright orange, so if you've removed anything that is bright orange on the ink tanks and print head it should ave been completely removed.  Since the cleanings didn't help, I would recommend using the Contact Us link to get in touch with our support staff who can provide applicable warranty options

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Karl1
Rising Star

Hi cjon,

If it goes through the motions of printing and no ink comes out, you may need to perform a few print head cleanings to start the ink flow.  Use the following steps to clean the print head:

(1) Press the MENU button.

(2) Select Setup, then press the OK button.

The setup menu screen will appear.

(3) Select Maintenance, then press the OK button.

The Maintenance screen will appear.

(4) Select Cleaning, then press the OK button.

Figure: LCD

The confirmation screen will appear.

(5) Select Yes, then press the OK button.

The machine starts cleaning the print head.

Do not perform any other operations until the machine completes the cleaning of the print head. This takes about 2 minutes.

The pattern print confirmation screen will appear.

(6) Select Yes, then press the OK button.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I've run through about 3 print cleaning cycles, with still no ink at all.  Could there be some packing film up inside that I have missed?

Hi cjon,

All the packing material is bright orange, so if you've removed anything that is bright orange on the ink tanks and print head it should ave been completely removed.  Since the cleanings didn't help, I would recommend using the Contact Us link to get in touch with our support staff who can provide applicable warranty options

Thanks for your help.  Newegg sent me a prepaid UPS RMA label and the printer is going back for replacement today.

Thanks for your help.

Just a note to say that when I replaced the MX 920, I got a MG6320 instead.  Having had it a couple of months now, I have the following comments:

1. As others have noted, it takes it FOREVER to wake up.  Seriously, it seems to go through a complete cleaning cycle every time it starts up.  Besides taking up to a full minute, I have no idea how much ink this wastes.  It is pretty quick after it finally gets around to starting.

2. You can't network it both wired and wirelessly at the same time.  So, I have it wired to my wireless router.

3. It makes beautiful prints.

4. The paper tray id dinky, and there is no tray feed from the back, so if you want to feed card stock or heavy photo paper, it has to go "around the corner".

5.  The replacement ink multi pack only has 4 of the 6 colors. (no gray or small black).

While I like the output from this printer, I'd not buy another one.  OTOH, it isn't an HP.  (that's a good thing)

Bill_S
Apprentice

Same issue here: MX 920 goes to sleep.  I power cycle the machine.  Still 'asleep' - grayed out in the list of printers.  Seems like there is something very basic missing here.

This shouldn't be rocket science.

Any suggestions that will help?

Hi, Bill_S!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know the version of Windows or Mac in use.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Stacy6094
Apprentice

I'm having a problem with just my blue ink not printing. I replaced the cartridge and did a cleaning and still nothing. Please advise. 

Hi Stacy6094,

When inks do not print, we recommend performing at least one cleaning and two deep cleanings to try and get the ink to print.  If the ink still does not print, and you have also replaced the ink tank in the unit, the printer will require servicing; please call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Announcements