cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP830 printhead error message

Maryruthmarks
Apprentice

After I put in a large black cartridge in my MP830 printer, it comes up with a message saying 

"The type of printhead is incorrect.  Install the correct print head"

I did nothing different except put in new black ink cartridge (small one) then needed the large one done and had to wait for a delivery from Staples for the larger cartridge.  So installed large black cartridge and error message as above.

I have removed the printhead and reinstalled it according to Karl1, product expert, have turned it on and off; repeated the printhead reinstall and same message as in paragraph 1.

New printheads are $249 which is ridiculous and all this seems to be a problem with others with this product.  

Help please. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Maryruthmarks
Apprentice

I saw that you replied but I cannot find your reply.  The only one is the reply that you gave to mags which was the same problem I had.

email me at (MOD NOTE: Email address removed per Forum Guidelines) with how to get to your reply and with a resolution to this seemingly common problem.  I need to print and will go buy another printer but not a Canon if you can't come up with a good solution.

Mary Ruth

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

poppabear
Apprentice

I know this is an old post and you have long ago resolved it. But i just had the same problem and found your message searching for answers.  I tried rebooting printer and also tried uninstall/reinstall with no help. However, I tried unplugging the printer, powered down my computer, repowered my printer and then restarted my computer.  Printer reinstalled and error message went away.  Works fine now...

poindexter56
Apprentice

To anyone else who stumples upon this post looking for a solution this is what worked for me:

1) lift cover

2) Remove ink cartridges

3) lift printerhead relase tab and remove printer head

4) clean back of printerhead metal contracts with alcohol wipe

5) clean ink from bottom of printerhead (optional)

6) clean metal contacts on printer

7) reinsert printerhead and ink cartridges

😎 close cover 

Error gone; happy printing. Hope this works for anyone else having this problem!

I installed new cartridges, removed the printer head, cleaned it, put everyting back together, turned the printer off, unplugged it and turned it on again. The printer head error remains.

ebsonic - try powering down your computer, then printer. unplug printer for a few minutes. repower printer and then restart computer. Worked for me. Might be the sequence. Good Luck.

@poindexter56 wrote:

To anyone else who stumples upon this post looking for a solution this is what worked for me:

1) lift cover

2) Remove ink cartridges

3) lift printerhead relase tab and remove printer head

4) clean back of printerhead metal contracts with alcohol wipe

5) clean ink from bottom of printerhead (optional)

6) clean metal contacts on printer

7) reinsert printerhead and ink cartridges

😎 close cover 

Error gone; happy printing. Hope this works for anyone else having this problem!

Did the same procedure but still the error consists 😞

Marcusation
Apprentice

I can't use the device at all because of the printer head error! Every button beep, beep,beep Totally unacceptable! I want the scanning function but can't use that because of the printer head error. How dumb isn't that. Canon get together your **bleep**. How is it even possible to lock down the whole device just because the printer head is an error on. You should give us a new printerhead for free! 

And by the way i can't get my device to get rid of the error on the printer head. Have read this thred as good as i can. But please is there any reset command so I can get by the error? Or a way to fix the error without buying a new printer hed?

poppabear
Apprentice

Follow up.  After previously reporting that I was able to correct the problem, the demon returned and I was not able to correct regardless of what I tried.  Apparently Canon would like us to buy a new printer, which I did. However it was not a Canon brand and I am not likely to buy Canon again after this experience.

The_amazing_jaz
Apprentice
I have a MG5420 Canon that stopped working after saying printer heads werent on right or something. Its a error and i really need my printer as a college student if you can help me that would be great.

The_amazing_jaz,

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

No Michael, why don't you try the Contact Us link? It's bogus, first with Canon stating they will NOT give telephone support for my MP830 printer/scanner and then by referring me to some lame support notes, that don't help at all! Everyone on this page has tried ink fixes without results. It's NOT an ink or head problem. It has to be that older Canon printers don't work with Windows 10. So I, like the rest of people here, am going to throw away this junk and go buy an Epson or HP.
Announcements