cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP610 no longer printing color

steger
Apprentice

My MP610 has been working reliably and well for years.

Then... I received a U052 error ("type of print head incorrect"). By removing the print head and cleaning it with hot water, the U052 error went away. Hooray.

Then... I noticed that the printouts were streaked with blank horizontal streaks. No amount of nozzle cleaning or print head cleaning solved that. So, I bought a new print head. Black text printouts were restored. Hooray.

But... color printouts were gone altogether. Even printing the nozzle check pattern was blank where the color patterns were supposed to be. The PGBK pattern printed perfectly, but the rest of the page was completely blank. No smears or streaks. Nothing at all.

That's where I stand. A printer that appears to be fine as a black and white printer, but completely useless as a color printer. Any suggestions for how to restore service?

--

Mark 

3 REPLIES 3

Ramona
Authority

Hi steger,

When an ink does not print, we recommend performing at least one cleaning and two deep cleanings on the unit to try and resolve the issue.  If the ink still does not print, we recommend waiting 24 hours, then attempting another  deep cleaning on the unit. 

Since you replaced the print head, we also recommend performing a print head alignment in addition to the cleanings to try and get the ink to print.  Please follow the steps located at the link below to perform a print head alignment:

PIXMA MP610 Print Head Alignment

if you are still unable to print colors after performing the cleanings and alignments, we recommend having the unit serviced.  Please Contact Us for servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Jandagordon
Apprentice

My elderly but usually reliable MP610 has decided that it only wants to print monochrome.

I started off a print run of about 40 pages text, including some red print, then left it running. Although the cartridges are all part-full, the red text started fading after about 6 pages,but the printer kept on printing to the end, minus red text, with no error messages.

I carried out a deep clean and printed a test page, which brought up an error message "type of print head incorrect".

Unlike a previous subsciber (the thread was about 5 years old!) I did not take the print head off to clean it, but have done another deep clean and a print head realignment.

But still,no,colour printing, in any colour, even though it was only red that ran dry.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks

John

Hi Jandagordon,

Because performing printhead cleanings did not get your PIXMA MP610 to print correctly, your PIXMA MP610 would require service.

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program.  This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system.  This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET).  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements