cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP520 Print Head Problem

vf32
Apprentice

I  tried to print but got the message, "The type of print head is incorrect. Install the correct print head"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdtrucker
Apprentice

I have the mx 700 and just got the same message and all I did was replace all the ink , was wondering how to fix myself

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sdtrucker
Apprentice

I have the mx 700 and just got the same message and all I did was replace all the ink , was wondering how to fix myself

Karl1
Rising Star

Hi Vf32,

Please try the following to resolve the issue:

Remove the Ink Tanks

1. Confirm that the printer is powered on.

2. Pull open the paper output tray.

3. Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) with both hands and set the scanning unit support. (The print head will move to the replacement position.)

Note: When the scanning unit (printer cover) is opened more than ten minutes, the print head moves to the right side. If this occurs, close the scanning unit (printer cover), and open it again.
  4. Remove the ink tanks by pressing the tab of each tank.

Caution: Handle the ink tanks with care so that your clothes and surrounding area do not get soiled. Make sure to remove the ink tanks one by one.

The above illustration depicts ink tanks being removed from an MX850. 

Reseating the Print Head

1. Raise the print head lock lever then lower it again to reseat the print head. If removing the print head to replace with a new print head, proceed to step 2.

2. Tilt the print head slightly towards the front of the machine and lift out gently.

The above illustration depicts a print head being removed from an MX850.

Caution: Do not touch the print head nozzles <1> , electrical contacts <2>, or ink supply ports <3>. Doing so may cause printing problems.

Follow the instructions below for Installing the Print Head and Re-Installing the Ink Tanks.

Installing the Print Head

1. Raise the print head lock lever.

2. Pull out the print head from its package, then remove the orange protective cap from it.

CAUTION: Do not touch the print head nozzles <1> , electrical contacts <2>, or ink supply ports <3>. Doing so may cause printing problems.

3. Place the print head in the print head holder and lower the print head lock lever carefully until you hear a click.

The above illustration depicts a print head being installed in an MX850.

Re-Installing the Ink Tanks

1. Insert ink tanks into the print head.

NOTE: Press the mark <PUSH> on the ink tank firmly until you hear a click.

The above illustration depicts ink tanks being installed in an MX850.

2. Ensure that all the ink tanks are installed properly and the ink tank lamps light red.

<1> The ink tanks are installed properly.

<2> The ink tanks are not installed properly.

3. Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) slightly to set the scanning unit support back to its original position, and then gently close the scanning unit (printer cover).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi karl1, Thank you for sending the visual instructions to solve the "type of  print head is incorrect..."  problem. By the way the LCD screen with the error message had "U052" on it, if that is any help. I think I followed the instructions correctly, but the same message comes up again and nothing prints. I should also tell you that I before the problem occurred I tried to update to the latest driver for the MP520, if that is any help.

Thanks, vf32

Hi vf32,

Since reseating the print head did not resolve the issue, I would recommend using the Contact Us link to get in touch with our support staff as it would appear that the unit would require service.  They can inform you of any available service options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements