cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG5420 "in error", thinks ink is low

RuthC
Apprentice

Running windows 10 with my 5420 that has been working without an issue.  Replaced 251 black ink cartridge (new Canon cartridge, not a refill) and now it tells me printer is in error and toner is low.  But when I connect with a cable I can print without an issue and don't get a low ink message.   I have reset printer, gone through cleaning procedure, deleted and reinstalled printer on my laptop.  From laptop I can't print a test page, it tells me "printer not responding" and the troubleshooter tells me toner is low or empty.  It isn't!   Any ideas about what's going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi RuthC,

To try and resolve the issue, please take the recently replaced ink tank out, turn the printer off, wait about 5 minutes, then turn it back on, and place the ink tank back inside.   During the time the printer is off, please restart your computer.  This should then update the ink levels accurately.

Alternatively, if you have an tank that is actually empty, you can try putting that ink tank back into the printer so that it recognizes the empty tank and provides the ink tank empty warning.  You would then replace it with the new ink tank and the printer should determine that it was replaced and provide a full ink level indication again.

If the printer still does not recognize the ink levels properly, we ask that you please contact a Canon technical support representative here for further assistance. A representative will be happy to assist you free of charge.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ramona
Authority

Hi RuthC,

To try and resolve the issue, please take the recently replaced ink tank out, turn the printer off, wait about 5 minutes, then turn it back on, and place the ink tank back inside.   During the time the printer is off, please restart your computer.  This should then update the ink levels accurately.

Alternatively, if you have an tank that is actually empty, you can try putting that ink tank back into the printer so that it recognizes the empty tank and provides the ink tank empty warning.  You would then replace it with the new ink tank and the printer should determine that it was replaced and provide a full ink level indication again.

If the printer still does not recognize the ink levels properly, we ask that you please contact a Canon technical support representative here for further assistance. A representative will be happy to assist you free of charge.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This worked. Thank you so much for ending my frustration with this quick and effective answer. You are my favorite person today!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements