cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG5420 Not Recognized by Windows 7

BSquared18
Contributor

Hi,

I have successfully used my MG5420 via a USB cable for two computers: Desktop 1, running Win XP; and Desktop 2, running Win 8.

Because Microsoft has stopped supporting Win XP, I did a clean install of Win 7 on Desktop 1. I downloaded

mp68-win-mg5400-1_01-ejs, which was the file recommended for Win 7 on the Canon website.

However, no matter what I try, such as using several of the USB ports and unconnecting and reconnecting the printer, as suggested by the installation software, the computer does not recognize the printer. Therefore, the process cancels out before I can install any drivers. In Control Panel --> Printer Setup, the printer isn't listed, and no USB port is listed.

On the other hand, a really old HP laser printer installed without a problem and is on an LPT1 port, using the older type of connector instead of a USB port.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for your suggestions, Ramona.

It turned out that once all the updates had been made (which took a very long time) to the newly installed Windows 7 OS, the operating system recognized and installed the printer without a problem.

Bill

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

BSquared18
Contributor

Still no success. I even tried using Windows XP compatibility mode.

Does anyone know where to find the Windows 7 driver for the MG5420 printer? When I go to the Canon website, there seems to be a driver for Win 8 but not Win 7. Is that one compatible with Win 7? Or is there one specifically for Win 7.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Bill

Ramona
Authority

Hi BSquared18,

The mp68-win-mg5400-1_01-ejs file is compatible with the Windows 7 operating system.  Are other USB items recognized when you plug them into your computer?  Do you have another USB cable that you can use to try and connect the printer to your computer to see if it is recognized?

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for your suggestions, Ramona.

It turned out that once all the updates had been made (which took a very long time) to the newly installed Windows 7 OS, the operating system recognized and installed the printer without a problem.

Bill

Announcements