cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG5220 Won't Scan Anymore With MP Navigator 4.0 on Mac

epie
Apprentice

Hello,
I am able to print fine but no longer able to scan using MP Navigator EX 4.0.   I keep getting error that says "Cannot Communicate with Scanner.  Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off.  Click scanner selection if you want to select another scanner.  Scanner driver will be closed 2.1.0"  What should I do to get scanning working again on my Mac?  I deleted MP4 sftware and reloaded but as a first step but that didn't work.  I am on a Mac with Mountain Lion OSX.  Thanks in advance for any help!

epie 

7 REPLIES 7

Karl1
Rising Star

Hi epie,

Are you using the printer with a USB cable or communicating wirelessly?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

i am wireless.  I have also gone back and forth with Canon but still not resolved.  They had me check obvious stuff like the IJ Network Scanner  to make sure printer appears with Mac address and it does but still wont scan.  Any help would be appreciated. 

I would also like to make sure that MP Navigator is properly configured for wireless communication.  To check this, perform the following steps:

1.  Open MP Navigator.

2.  Click Preferences at the bottom.

3.  In the Product Name drop down menu, make sure that it is set to PIXMA MG5220 SER XXXXXXXX where XXXXX is a string of numbers. 

4.  Clck OK then try scanning again.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

yes it is.  Still not working.

Hi epie,

One thing I have seen with Macintosh customers is they connect their printer to their routers using a USB cable.  While this will work for network printing, it will not allow for network scanning.  The printer must be connected to your router using a wireless connection for network printing and scanning to function correctly. 

If you do have the printer connected correctly, please confirm if you reinstalled with the latest drivers from our website or used the drivers on the disc that came with the printer.  Please also let us know the error you receive when scanning from MP Navigator.

I look forward to assisting you.

Same issue here. Went thru exact same procedures on my new mac mini to no avail.  Can print but can not scan using the MP Nav 4.0.3.  I was able to scan using Apple's basic scan utility thru Settings > Print & Scan > Selecting Canon MG5200 Series under Scanners at the left bottom and finally click on the Open Scanner... button on the upper right side.  

MP Nav 4.0.3 was working until recently.

Found this (link below) and my scanner no longer has the communication error & scans perfectly.  There were 2 drivers and only one was the actual network connected driver.  It was apparently changed somehow (prob from some software install) from the networked driver to the one that was not.  After following the steps at this link and selecting the correct driver, I was able to scan again using MP Nav 4.0.3

There are hundreds of people having this issue according to all the forum posts on Apple's site.  I hope this problem with the driver selection being changed is resolved soon.

Here is the link that solves this communication with scanner error.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5047448?start=0&tstart=0

Announcements