cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG 6320

Roadpilgrim
Apprentice

Why does my printer use so much ink? I don't do a great deal of printing, and mostly B&W documents. The color inks run down and out with hardly any use. I don't get it ? ? ?

2 REPLIES 2

Ramona
Authority

Hi Roadpilgrim,

The amount of pages an ink tank will produce will depend on the the print quality selected, the type of paper selected, and the type of documents being printed.  

To conserve the amount of ink being used by the printer, you will want to ensure that the paper type selected in the printer driver is PLAIN PAPER unless you are printing photos, labels or envelopes, and that the print quality is set to either FAST or STANDARD. 

If you print more black and white documents than color documents, selecting the grayscale printing option in the printer driver will reduce the amount of color ink used by the printer.  Please note that if you use the duplex (double-sided) printing option or select a paper type other than PLAIN PAPER in the printer driver, the color ink tanks will be used to produce the black text on the page, even if the grayscale option is selected.  

In addition, some web pages and PDF files have coding embedded in them that will require the use of color inks to produce the text on the printout, even if the grayscale option is selected.  In these cases, we cannot force the printer to print using only the large black ink tank in the unit.  If you would like instruction on how to select any of these settingplease reply with what operating system is on your computer and we will be happy to send you instruction.

You can also reduce the amount of ink used by the printer by leaving your printer on so that it goes into power save mode instead of turning it off after each use.  Each time you turn off and then back on your printer, the print head nozzles will be cleaned during printer initialization.  By letting the printer go into power save mode, it will reduce the amount of cleanings that are performed and, as a result, use less ink.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for the reply, the information is very helpful. I don't have an option on leaving the power on as I am in a mobile ( big truck ) environment running my system using a power inverter. Any help in settings would be greatly appreciated; also is there a way to disable the automatic cleaning cycle during initialization? I am using a Mac Mini, with OS X Mavericks operating system, and print using air print.
Announcements