cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF733Cdw Multifunction Printer

prowlands1124
Apprentice

Just purchased a MF733Cdw Multifunction Printer.  Printing works and scanning in color works.  When I try to scan in black and white the result is black lines across a white background.  Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

KDef
Enthusiast
What are you trying to scan? Possibly security paper with watermarks? Can you share an example of what the scan looks like? Have you tried or gotten any differences when using the glass or auto feeder?

Used regular 20# white paper with a list of addresses.  Tried 2 different sheets.  No watermark. Used the glass and feed.   The color scans are perfect.  I'm actually helping a elderly neighbor so I'll have to scan again to get a sample.  they are horizontal lines.  There is no pattern ... .  

I call Canon and they said this was very unusual.  They had me set up a grey scale scan on custom.  This worked but the print was not acceptable...too light.  So I tried setting up black and white on the custom but the same thing happened.  They said it was defective.  Said the printer uses different "whatevers" for each type of scan.  So we returned it for her and got another printer.  Guess what ... same problem!  I plan on calling Canon again but thought I would post hoping I could find someone who had the same issue or had any suggestions.

Thanks!

Yeah, that's strange. Definitely because they're horizontal (given both methods scan vertically, rules out individual faulty portions of the sensor).

I've got email notices set up, if you're able to get that example, I'll have another look.

Have you tried other documents to recreate? Even similar documents with slight variants might shed some light. Pencil writing doesn't show up very well yanno.

Another thing you might attempt is making a copy. Depending on the software you're using, it may be destroying the scan while trying to "optimize" it or something. Making a copy should bypass a lot of the post-processing stuff the software might be doing.

Definitely keep up with support if we cant figure it out though. They'll be the ones to make sure everything is right in the end whether it works or not.

Thanks for your help.  If I do find a solution, I'll let you know.

Announcements