cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF4350d won't complete scanning a page

beandk
Apprentice

Machine used to work fine, now it will not complete scanning a single page thru the ADF. Page starts scanning, percentage gets up to 65%, then the page is ejected. If there are more pages, they're all pulled through quickly and the percentage stays the same. It finally times out and gives a "cannot communicate" error. I can print to it just fine even after the error occurs. In order to run Tool Box again, I have to reboot the computer (XP). Can copy pages OK.  I've made no intentional changes to the system.

Is this a printer problem? A Tool Box/driver/XP system problem? Any suggestion? The main feature that attracted me to the printer was automatic scanning. Without that, it's just another printer.

2 REPLIES 2

Patrice
Whiz

Hi beandk.

I will be glad to assist you.

There appears to be a communication error between the printer and the computer.  May I have you perform the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issue?

1.  Disconnect the printer from the computer, and then plug the printer into another open port on the computer.  Perform the scan again and verify if you experience the same error.

2.  If the error persists, please change the USB cable.  Although printing may be fine, scanning uses a two-way communication and the information from the MF4350d is not being returned to the computer.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  If the issue persists, after performing the steps above, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

After moving equipment around and doing experiments, I think the problem arises from the wreless print server and the particular nodes of my overly complex home network that are involved. Machine scans fast when connected by USB, slow when connected by print server with only the router between it and the controlling PC, too slow to complete when running over a lower-speed network access point. I think I'll spend my money on upgrading the network speed. Thank you.

Announcements