cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm getting a a wide orange streak when I scan photos on my MG8200 on all parts of glass.

dougkanipe
Contributor

I'm getting a wide orange-ish streak across photos I scan no matter where on the glass I put the photo.  Any thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi dougkanipe,

Performing calibrations should resolve this issue.  The PIXMA MG8220 does not have a calibration that can be activated on demand.  There is a setting that can be set to cause the PIXMA MG8220 to perform a calibration before each scan.  To set this, please follow these steps:

1.  Open the MP Navigator EX.

2.  Point to Scan/Import in the upper left hand corner and then click on Photos/Documents (Platen).

3.  Place a checkmark next to Use the scanner driver.

4.  Click on Open Scanner Driver.

5.  When Scangear opens, click on the Advanced mode tab.

6.  Click on the Preferences button at the bottom.

7.  In the Scanner tab, next to Execute at Every Scan, select ON.

8.  Click OK.

Back in Scangear, click Scan.  Perform 3 or 4 scans.

Does the scanned image improve?

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The calibration did not work. here are two examples of what I'm seeing.  You can see the wide streak to the left of the face.  IMG_0003.jpg

If I move the pic to the lower left of the scanner bed I get the streak in a different place and different size.  now on the right

IMG_0003.jpg

Hi dougkanipe,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am getting the same type of streaks on my images, too.  In my case, I have narrowed it down to the left side of the glass.  I have a Canoscan 9000F Mark II that is 3 years old.  I think that my unit has had this issue since it was new.  Until now, I incorrectly assumed it had something to do with external light leaking under the cover.  I have been trouble-shooting with Canon Support via email and they have determined that my unit needs repair or replacement.  Numerous attempts at calibration did not have any effect on the symptoms.  Here are two scans of the same photo, one with the long edge against the left side of the glass, the other with the short edge against the left side of the glass.LongEdge_7.jpg

LongEdge_7.jpg

I was not able to fix the issue on my out-of-warranty Canoscan 9000f MkII.  So, I bought ANOTHER UNIT of the same model (Canon gave me a deal), and the new unit (still under-warranty) HAS THE SAME PROBLEM!!.    I called Canon tech support again, and we tried changing many varables; none fixed the issue.    We tried different computers, Windows OS and Mac OS, different cables, different scanning apps, at home and at office (Yep I took it to work) etc.  

Canon TS indicates that they have never seen this issue, and cannot reproduce it on their 9000F MkII that they keep at the TS center.  Given that I have seen it on two out of two units, I am suspicious that this issue could be a firmware or manufacture issue affecting certain lots. Or, it may even be related to the lack of functionality in the Canon calibration software.  ScanGear no longer has an independent calibrate feature; calibration is integrated with scanning, which makes me wonder if it works the same as it did when it was independent.

I will try a third unit as offered by Canon, but if that does not fix it, I will be looking at getting an Epson.  😞

Henry33
Apprentice

Hi, have this ever beenresolved (an actual answer from Canon) ? I know this is an old post, but, here in 2019, I have the SAME exact problem as the original poster, those ugly orange color vertical streaks that are in the exact same area as the original poster.

This is a brand NEW scanner, purchased a year ago as future replacement, and when one of our 9000F broke down after almost a decade, I finally open the box to replace it. Hooked it up yesterday and was horrify to see this issue on a brand new zero milage Canon product.Never had that problem with any of our 9000F as we run a scanning business and had own 5 of them. 

Help Canon or anyone ?

Hi Henry33

It is unclear which scanner you have encountered this issue with. Because of the type of issue you are experiencing, I recommend contacting a Canon technical support representative. Click HERE to obtain our technical support contact information. A representative will be happy to assist you.

Henry - 

The THIRD unit (model Canoscan 9000f MkII) that I installed back in 2017 did indeed fix the orange-streak issue!    I chalk it up to defective hardware that affects some units.

Announcements