cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove output tray (front door) on MX922?

CanonLaw
Contributor

I bought the MX922 because I needed a printer under 18" deep, and the specs on the MX922 say it's 15.6" deep.  But when I print, the output tray (the door on the front) drops down, increasing the depth to something like 22".  In the tight space I have, the tray does not fully deploy, and the paper output jams.

How can I remove the output tray?  I'm hesitant to take a saw to my new printer, but that tray makes the printer useless to me.

Is there a maintenance manual somewhere that describes how to remove the output tray?

10 REPLIES 10

mjshort
Contributor

I was able to remove the front door by using a flat head screwdriver. There are small tabs to the left of each of the hinges on the door (between the case and the hinge). If you gently pry the hinges where the tabs are the door will come off.  But be warned, when I put the door back on it will not stay closed.  That's the reason I was looking on this forum!  I still haven't figured it out.

Thanks for the solution and the warning. Are you able to print with the door off? I'm afraid that the printer will think the door's closed and refuse to print.

Thanks again.

I didn't try printing with the door off. But from what I see, there's no reason it shouln't work. The only connection to the printer is a dial that causes the door to flip open.  BTW the reason it wouln't stay closed for me is I reinstalled a spring wrong while I had the door itself apart. You should be able to snap it back on and have it work. Mine is fine now.

I'm also looking to remove the front door/output tray, but for another reason. After setting up my new MX922 and using it for the first time, one of my cats was freaked out by the door opening and on jumping down from the desk caught the door and extension somehow. Now the door remains open, can't be closed fully, nothing happens automatically and the extension has to be pulled out manually if you want it.

I can just leave the door open all the time, which would be fine, but if I can take the door off and figure out what might have gotten disconnected so that all is working as it should be again, I'd be happier.

If i get the door off using the tabs on each side as described in earlier posts, will i be able to see the connections of the extension that may have been disconnected/broken? 

Also, as the door itself is not opening/closing what kind of connection is the dial you talk about - is it a cog that needs to line up? Is that maybe why the door can't close as the cogs are misaligned?

Here's a photo of the guts properly assembledIMG_20161025_162618.jpg

Thank you, picture was very helpful.  Additional information which may help others...

I suggest to losen the bottom plastic next to the hinges, not much, just pull back a little to make it easier to access the hinges.

Take out the two paper trays.

Have the door in closed position when you put the screwdriver on the left side of each hinge.  Door will have to be slightly open just so you can hold onto it to wiggle it free.

I worked on the left hinge first, get that one loose and then work on the right one.

The door needs to move right while the tab inside the printer hinge area is pushed left; wiggle door and pull to get out.

Once out, you can remove the door cover to access the mechanical parts as shown in picture.

Door cover has two tabs on each side, tab on each hinge and two tabs inside to release.

I suggest to loosen the two on each side first, then each on the hinges, last two will pop as you pry cover off.

The other white internal piece can come off after the door cover is off, which now you can see what is shown in the picture.

You can test the mechanism is working correctly when the door is out.  Slide white part in the left hinge with your finger; stiff but possible to do with a strong finger.

You don't have to be concerned with placement of this white slide part when you put back it; it will line up correctly and work once the door is back in fully seated properly.

The image by a prior poster of the guts of the door was most helpful, as were other instructions about removing the door from the hinge tabs.  My printer output tray door somehow became unassembled, and I had at least four internal pieces loose and a door that would not close.  I did not have a problem reassembling the door back on to its hinges as mentioned by one poster.  I carefully used the same flathead screwdriver to reattach the door to its hinge tabs.  Thanks for the assistance, canconcommunity!

This image was a god-send. I used another poster's advice on how to get the door off so I could work on realigning these pieces correctly. It all went off perfectly and my door snaps down perfectly now. Thank you!

I used your advice to get my door off and it worked great. Had to use another poster's photo to see how the gut pieces were supposed to align. That worked. My door now works perfectly. Thanks for your help!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements