cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP PLEASE! blurry BLACK text printing PIXMA MG7120

JIMBENDER
Apprentice

My Pixma MG7120 Printer is printing all black text in blurry fashion.  I have cleaned in every way and even replaced the black ink.  Not sure what I am doing wrong or how to fix.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HERE'S A WORK-AROUND:

Check your printer's paper settings. Switch setting to Photo Paper (even if you're using plain paper) , select MATTE Photo paper, save the settings. Now try printing again. In my case, my blurry print became razor-sharp with this setting on my Canon MG7520. You're using more ink, but worth it if your printing an important document or shipping label.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi JIMBENDER,

Based on your description of the issue, the Encoder Film inside the printer may be smeared. Please follow the procedures below to check the film condition, and clean it when necessary:

1. Press the power button to turn your PIXMA MG7120 off.

2. Unplug the power cord from the printer. Be sure to turn off the printer power and unplug the power cord first.

3. Open the Paper Output Cover.

4. Check if the Encoder Film inside the printer is clear. The Encoder Film is the transparent thin film. Please view the image at teh bottom of this post for further detail.

5. If the Encoder Film is smeared as shown in the image, it needs to be cleaned.

6. Place a few drops of neutral detergent (2 to 3 drops of neutral detergent in 1/4 cup of tap water) on a cotton swab with water. CAUTION: Do not use any other detergents.

7. Moisten a cotton swab with the prepared cleaning water. Eliminate extra water so that no water drops.

8. Using the moistened cotton swab, wipe the Encoder Film. CAUTION: Be cautious so that no water drops inside the printer.

CAUTION: Do not contact the rail. If the rail is contacted, the print quality may be deteriorated. The Encoder Film is fixed to the printer with the springs at the ends. If the film is pushed too strong, it may be dislocated. Do not push the film. Just gently move the cotton swab over the surface of the film.

Also, please keep your hands off the printer and clean the film with the tip of the cotton swab. Change the cotton swab to new ones frequently.

9. Eliminate any stains or smearing from the film until the entire film becomes transparent and clear.

10. If the trail of detergent is left on the film, clean it using a cotton swab that is moistened with just water. If moisture is left on the film, eliminate it using a dry cotton swab, and wait until the film dries well.

11. Close the Paper Output Cover, and plug in the power cord of the printer.

12. Press the power button to turn your PIXMA MG7120 on.

13. Please print a test page.

14. If the problem persists, check and clean the Encoder Film again.

If the print quality is still not improved even after repeated cleaning of the Encoder Film, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

encoder_2.jpg

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I've been using my MG6670 for a while and it's printing blurry words the past couple of months. Any solutions. please? Thanks!

HERE'S A WORK-AROUND:

Check your printer's paper settings. Switch setting to Photo Paper (even if you're using plain paper) , select MATTE Photo paper, save the settings. Now try printing again. In my case, my blurry print became razor-sharp with this setting on my Canon MG7520. You're using more ink, but worth it if your printing an important document or shipping label.

HERE'S A WORK-AROUND:

registered just to thank you for this. It prints much slower, and uses more ink, but it's better than throwing this thing away while I still have ink replacements to ride out.

10/10, thanks!

Yes, this solves the problem but all you have done is switched from the large BLK tank to the small BLK tank
The smaller tank being used for photo printing hence the switch to Photo/Matt
Brilliant suggestion and very much appreciated , but it still leaves the text tank/head the unresolved problem which look very much like a printer fault

Agreed...work around is a lifesaver, but I would like the problem fixed.  Mine has been doing this for about six months now.  I cleaned the clear strip referred to above...did nothing.  Color printing is fine.  Photo printing is as good as the day we bought it.  It's just black text print.  Infuriating!

I found the work around to work as well before reading it here. Which leads me to think its a roller issue bringing the paper through too fast on regular printing. Any thoughts on that?!?

I have the same problem with a MG6821. Changed the paper selection to MATTE photo paper and it worked as suggested.

SOOOO what is the real problem and when will it be fixed??

This also worked on a PIxma 4250. I do little printing, but when I do it needs to look good. This made a huge difference, Thank you.

Announcements