cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blissfullyblack
Contributor

Hello:

I bought an MX-922 in August mainly because it was cloud-ready and I could print from my Chromebook, Nexus Tablet, iPhone etc. i had no problems printing from these devices until a couple of days ago.

Suddenly it wouldn't print from my Chrome web browser. I have NO problem printing wirelessly from my laptop with Word, etc. but whenever I try to print from the Google Chrome Browser, it says my printer has been offline for more than a week--even when it's on.

I tried deleting the printer from Google Cloud Print but it said that it couldn't connect with the network. 

I do keep my printer off unless I'm printing, but again, I have done this since I've bought it with no problems and I had no issues using the printer normally. It's just this dang Google Cloud Print. 

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? 

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dan,

I had this problem last summer, and it became tolerable after Google worked on it.  I'm a fellow user so I've nothing to lose by telling you I'm not optimistic about Cloud Print actually fixing this.  It got better to the extent that you can "work around the problem" by going into the printer's menus and asking it to check in with Cloud Print.  This somehow re-establishes the link between the MX922 and the CloudPrint server.  Neither Canon nor Google assumed responsibility, but I think it had something to o with the printer going into some power saver mode, similar to hibernation.  I don't think there is any user control over this, so I'm only hypothesizing what's happening.  My wife and I were eventually able to print from the ChromeBook whenever necessary.  The process was to wake up the printer by pressing Menu, select Web Services, tell it to check in with Cloud Print, and then confirm that we want it to download the print job.  On the positive side, the Canon MX922 is a very nice machine, and as a wireless network printer it performs flawlessly.  It's just that Google's CloudPrint and Canon's printer don't play well together

In our case, the problem was permanently solved when the ChromeBook fell off a table and broke it's screen.  We are replacing it with a windows laptop.

-Jerry

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Hi Dan,

I had this problem last summer, and it became tolerable after Google worked on it.  I'm a fellow user so I've nothing to lose by telling you I'm not optimistic about Cloud Print actually fixing this.  It got better to the extent that you can "work around the problem" by going into the printer's menus and asking it to check in with Cloud Print.  This somehow re-establishes the link between the MX922 and the CloudPrint server.  Neither Canon nor Google assumed responsibility, but I think it had something to o with the printer going into some power saver mode, similar to hibernation.  I don't think there is any user control over this, so I'm only hypothesizing what's happening.  My wife and I were eventually able to print from the ChromeBook whenever necessary.  The process was to wake up the printer by pressing Menu, select Web Services, tell it to check in with Cloud Print, and then confirm that we want it to download the print job.  On the positive side, the Canon MX922 is a very nice machine, and as a wireless network printer it performs flawlessly.  It's just that Google's CloudPrint and Canon's printer don't play well together

In our case, the problem was permanently solved when the ChromeBook fell off a table and broke it's screen.  We are replacing it with a windows laptop.

-Jerry

Thanks, Jerry!

Jerry:

Your solution worked! (Yes, over a year later and I still have this problem!)

Thanks!

P.S. I do love the printer but the ink is a bit on the expensive side and goes way too quickly.

Jerry,

I have the exact same problem and the exact same printer model.

You said "The process was to wake up the printer by pressing Menu, select Web Services, tell it to check in with Cloud Print, and then confirm that we want it to download the print job."

I'm curious what you meant... I don't have anything like that in my menu. What's the specific menu option? What version of the firmware are you running. I'm running v2.02 and the printer says this is the most current version and an update is not needed.

I revived my MX922 by doing Menu>Web Service>Cloud Settings>Google Cloud Print setup>Register with Google Cloud Print and following the directions.  The printer prints a page with a special URL, which you type into your device.  (In my case, an HP Chromebook.)  Then you go back to the printer's menu which is asking you to confirm the authentication (provided when you enter the URL on your device)--just say yes.  

After a little buzzing and clicking the printer appeared again on my list of registered Cloud Print devices.

I don't know how permanent this solution is, but the printer works with Cloud Print again.

1. From Chrome, Print and select the printer which is "offline".  The job
is sent to GCP and will appear as "Queued".

2. From the printer control panel   select menu -> webservices -> start
cloud print -> Print from Google Cloud Print -> (Do you want to connect to
the server and check for print jobs) YES.  This brings down the job and
prints!

My IPad prints but my laptop states that the printer is offline. It's all the same network in my house. What should I be looking for on the laptop.

Same exact problem here. iPad and laptops do great but Chromebook insists it's offline...and a pain to go into the basement office to reset!

rjwheele
Apprentice

Here is what I have found. It is a pain in the butt but it works for me and seems to be the way Canon has implemented it.

It works fine the first time you register and print. The print queue is processed. BUT, then it goes offline; the printer no longer "talks" to Cloud Print. The next and subsequent times you print to the queue the jobs just go into the queue and wait for the printer to accept them. I have found the following 2 ways to print what is CURRENTLY waiting in the queue.in the queue:

1. Turn the printer off and then back on, or:

2. On your printer, follow this riduculously long procedure that only a true programmer geek could love:

a. Press the Menu key
  b. Press the arrow down key (below the OK key) to get to "Web service". (It may not always start on the Photo selection so you may have to use the other keys to find "Web service"
  c. Press the OK key
  d. Press the Right arrow key go get onto "Start Cloud print"
  e. Press the OK key
  f. Make sure you are on "Print on Google Cloud Print" selection
  g. Press the OK key

h. Make sure you are on the "Yes" selection

i. Press the OK key

j. The printer should say "communicating..." and print whatever is in the queue

Observation: that's at least 11 key presses and checks to be sure you are in the right place --- just to get it to do what it should be doing automatically anyway. 

NOTE WELL: The printer seems to take Google Cloud print "offline" again at this point. To print any future items you will have to do one of the 2 procedures again. 

I can see why you might want the option of Cloud Print going offline in some environments for security reasons. But why on earth would they make it default to "offline"???? From other forums on the Web this seems to be a Special feature of this -- and perhaps other -- Canon implementations.

Also:

You -- or whoever the administrator is -- should also visit their Google Cloud Print registration for this printer on the web from time to time. When you go to "Print Jobs" you will find any items waiting to print as well as ALL other jobs printed and processed. For some ridiculous reason Google implemented it so that they never disappear until you do it manually -- and then you must do it one at a time. The first time I found this out there were dozens of "processed" items in the queue and Google implemented this so you 1) can only select one at a time, and 2) did not provide a "clear the queue" function.

KruseLudington
Contributor

I have the same problem, and don't bother going through the re-reigistration of the printer with the cloud service, the problem just comes back. Just let Google know it is woken up by checking the cloud print service from the panel on the printer, and it will show as online again. But as a permanent solution, what do we have to do to get Canon to resolve this? So Google and Canon are just pointing fingers at each other? And Canon marks this issue as solved when it is not? WHY?

Announcements