Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code B200

grampatex
Apprentice

Suddenly error code B200 no explanation in manual have canon pixma mx850

103 REPLIES 103

I have a PIXMA IP4700 which has worked great for many years - light use only. To avoid needlessly purchasing new ink tanks when the ink has expired I have successfully refilled them and reset the tank chips and the printer has always worked afterwards.

Today it was different...after resetting the tank chips, then  refilling and replacing the tanks the printer failed to work. The   green power on and resume amber lights blinking 10 times, pause and repeat ad infinitum, was the new greeting.

I tried all the suggested tricks such as removing the print head and cleaning it in isopropynol did not work. I found that I could get the tanks to position themselves centrally by switching off then lifting the top cover and then switching on again, waiting until the initialisation procedure finished (tanks moved right, left right again before moving left and then coming back centrally and stopping. All tanks displayed steady lamps.

I could access the print driver in Windows and view the ink status without problem. However when I attempted to print a test page I would get an error message and the alternate green/ amber blinking commenced again. The error message said B200 - Contact Support. Well we know that doesn't get you very far so I came here to read the thread replies and these have left me feeling not at all hopeful of a favourable outcome.

It seems that Canon have definitely built  "planned obsolescence" into their printers because the cost of repairing will at least be the same -  if not more, than buying a new printer.

I have come to the conclusion that my IP4700 will now become e-waste and I will buy another brand of printer this time and hopefully have better luck.

So, it was a problem again a week later. I think that since this error comes up somewhat randomly - I thought I had fixed it. I did try re-seating the print head, cleaning it, etc... no luck. I think the print head is just bad, although that does not absolve Canon from very poor software design and the ambiguous error messages. In my opinion that could have been fixed by a firmware update long ago. I will try the replacement print head from ebay that was linked below.

Mach84
Apprentice

070919, I called 1 800 652 2666 and was connected to folks who said, with the B200 error code there is no fix online, on the phone nor even no place to ship it in to be fixed. There is a discount program to upgrade to a newer Cannon printer, the discount was 10% off, my B200 error code was on a Pixma MX870 I bougjt 100210 and the equivalent printer is a PTR 8520 and the discounted price is $89.99 plus tax is $95.39. About the same price as a new print head from Cannon for the MX870. We'll see how long and well this new printer works. 

AaronHoyle
Contributor
Hopefully this helps anyone with a B200 error. I have a Pro-10 that started flashing alternating between the power and fault LEDs, 10 times per LED per sequence. Totally unresponsive to anything I did, has all Canon pigment installed and only Canon pigment has ever been installed. Tried unplugging power, restarting numerous times, nothing. I even tried someone's suggestion to unplug power, hold power button 30 seconds, reconnect AC power, still didn't work.

Here's what solved it for me-

I unplugged the unit, held the power button down for at least 30 seconds (was probably about a minute), while STILL HOLDING THE POWER BUTTON DOWN plugged the unit back in and kept holding the power button down for at least another 30 seconds (while doing this the power LED was solid white the entire time) then while still holding down the power button also pressed and held the feed button for at least another 30 seconds (holding down both). Upon releasing the two buttons the printer appeared to be off (another time I performed this for a customer on his Pro-10, upon releasing the two buttons the amber feel light was on solid and it worked that time as well).

I then unplugged the power, plugged back in, turned the printer back on and, lo and behold, it started up and performed a lengthy self clean cycle and functioned as normal.

Hope this helps someone, may work on the Pro-100, Pro-9000, Pro-9500  and perhaps other Canon pronters as well.

To recap, unplug, hold power button 30 seconds unplugged, plug in still holding power button, 30 seconds, while still holding power also hold feed button, hold both another 30 seconds, release, unplug unit, plug back in, power button to turn on, profit (hopefully!).
Announcements