Did you mean: 

Error Code B200

grampatex
Apprentice

Suddenly error code B200 no explanation in manual have canon pixma mx850

103 REPLIES 103

paradisepools
Apprentice

I have tried everything Canon has listed to resolve B200 error code, nothing working.

-you need to clean the print head and let in dry overnight

-leave out the print head and cartridges until the printer prompts for them.

The print head may be in the right-hand position partly under a cover - do not worry just slide it along with your finger (it is not locked).

FlyGirl
Apprentice

Hi -

I read through a lot of the postings here. I own a PIXMA MX870. What I ended up doing and had sucess with, was this:

1.  Turned printer off, unplugged printer and opened the cover of the printer.

2.  Removed all ink tanks from the printer. (If the printer cartridges are all the way over to the right, gently slide them over to center.)

3.  Lifted up the gray locking lever on the side of the ink tank holder.

4.  Gently removed the black print head from the carriage unit.

5.  Placed the print head into a shallow bowl of rubbing alcohol (just enough to cover ink heads) and let sit for about 15 minutes. (DO NOT USE WATER!! There is a small circuit board on the print head, water will eventually corrode the head. Thus people have complained about how their printers eventual don't print after they "fix" them with a soak in water. I used to build and repair curcuit boards, water and electronics do not mix.)

6.  Wiped excess alcohol with a dry with a soft cloth. Then used a hair dryer on warm to blow out residual alcohol and dried the heads. About 5 minutes to do.

7.  Placed the black print head back in and locked grey head lever down.

8.  Placed all of the ink tanks back in the printer.

8.  Closed the cover, plugged printer back in.

9.  Turned printer on.

10. Waited for it to reset itself and it printed like a charm.

I hope this works as nicely for you as it did for me.

Diana

Update: It's March 17th and the printer is still working ike new. 🙂

Diana,  Thanks for the info.  It worked.  From the comments it looks like Canon doesn't want to us to know the cause (I strongly believe it to be a dirty printer head) or the solution (what you have given).  I guess they want us to get a new printer.  Again many thanks.  Bill G.

Hi Bill -

I am so glad that my suggestion worked for you. I do believe that this error occurs due to a ditry/dusty connection on the print head's connector. I also believe that if one of the printer cartridges is left in the printer on empty (or super low) for a long period of time, that printer pad get dry and gunked up with old dye. Nothing like rubbing alcohol to soften, dissolve and to do the job of a good cleaning.

Cheers!

Diana

andreafc
Contributor

I also find it very unprofessional that Canon doesn't give more detailed explainations about this error and about how to correct it. They may want us to buy a new printer, but who told them it's going to be a Canon? Smiley Wink

Anyway, I have an MX850 and Camille fixed my problem: by turning the printer off and then pushing the "back" button (the one with the arrow that goes back to a small dot) and simultaneously the ON button together many times, I heard a lot of beeping, but the printer somewhat reset itself without me having to remove any paper, any cartridge, any printhead or to unplug it. It's working now: I'll keep you posted.

By the way, I got to this error while trying to print to the back tray. I got a message that there was no paper, when there was a lot. So I moved the paper around a little, just in case the switch was not catching it. Suddenly it gave me the B200 error.

Thanks @Camille!

macron
Apprentice

how to solve printer

Chromejob
Apprentice

I've registered here to post about my recent experience with a Pixma MP620 that I've had for years (very light use as a scanner and printer, ink always kept supplied).  I recently refilled all the low tanks,[1] and after the last "fill-up" did a deep cleaning to correct some alignment issues. Test print page was perfect.

Yesterday while printing a PDF, I canceled the print job from the Windows printer status window, then the Canon print dialog (status was still "Preparing print job..."). Upon examinig the printer, the dreaded B200 error was annunciated.No paper was in the paper path, nothing else out of order. The print head was parked normally.

I've tried a long power off (cord disconnected, 2+ hours), no joy, removed and reseated the ink tanks, no joy, removed and cleaned the print head and ink tank inputs (Qtip and isopropyl alcohol, as I learned working on military grade avionics), no joy, turned the printer back on without the print head and tanks, and installed each as directed by the status window, no joy. Still the B200. I did notice that when I installed the print head there was no error other than "ink tank unrecognized," when when I installed the ink tanks, no further error. I may buy new tanks from Costco to see if that clears the error.

Haven't had any results from magic button combinations.

Following Diane's recipe (I agree, running warm water over an electronic component is ill-advised and probably futile), I'm soaking the bottom of the print head in isopropyl alcohol three times until the alcohol remains relatively clear. Then, shake dry (no patting or touching), then air dry for at least 24 hours, then blow with gentle compressed air, then ... crossing my fingers ... installing the print head and ink tanks in sequence.

But ... this is why I'm here posting.

I'm here to post to Canon that this is unacceptable and will prevent me from buying your consumer electronics in the future. The circuits need to be sophisticated enough to identify the point of failure (e.g. "print head voltage," "print head ink issue," "self-test failure") so that the consumer can receive a general repair prognosis and estimate from a service center. A generic error like "B200, check manual" leading to "power off, wait 5 minutes, power on, if no change, submit to service center" is useless. The consumer is not a pot of money for you to dip into without prior consultation! ... Particularly when repair or replacement of parts may cost more than a new printer.

This is also wasteful. If I KNEW for certain that the print head was damaged, I'd buy another. But the lack of information leaves me no choice but e-cycle the printer and buy another -- by another brand -- at Costco. Cheap product planning like this doesn't just result in a poor printer, doesn't just result in future lost printer sales, but trickles down to prior customers who become negative ambassadors who shun the brand and encourage others to do so. Save a few pennies on the design and manufacture of a printer today, costs many dollars soon after.

[1] I'm curious if others encounter the B200 error after using third party refilled tanks, or third party new tanks.

andreafc
Contributor

Hello everybody,

I don't want to take the side of Canon now, but just to report to you that my Pixma MX850 has been working fine ever since my "treatment" (first post). I can't state what happens with refilled or third party ink tanks because I always use original ones.

iamlaurie2
Apprentice

Pixma Pro9500 Mark II - I got the B200 error but the print head cartridge is locked into the right-hand position and I have tried other suggestions trying to get print head to move to center position so i cd remove ink tanks and print head to clean it.  Nothing has worked so far.  Does anyone have suggestions for releasing the carriage so can access.  You cannot pull it over; it is locked into position.  Thanks

Announcements