cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code 5 156 69

bmijgoodrich
Apprentice

The scanner is not working. I keep getting an error saying that the Scanner is turned off and the USB is disconnected. Neither are true. The printing function works and it's connected by a USB cable. I've tried multiple USB ports, I've deleted extra folders in the TWAIN_32 folder besides the MX390 Series folder. and the wiatwain.ds file. I am running Windows 7. Thanks for any suggestions.

38 REPLIES 38

Tried all of the above. Nothing works. Also tried the Windows 10 troubleshooter. I've contacted support so let's hope they can help. As the problem has been around since 2014, there should be a solution by now.

Fixed mine by Downloading the latest software and drivers. My operating system is Windows 10.

Using Control panel I deleted the Canon Printer.

Then plugged the printer into the mains and connected USB to Laptop.

Then in Control Panel   All Control Panel Items  Devices and Printers I double clicked the Canon Printer icon.

In the subsequent window Clicked on Scan Photos or Documents.

IT SCANNED.

Opened Image Garden and clicked the Photo Icon (Scan placed items as Photos)CANON MG2450 problem solved.JPG

So, I've been wrestling with the same issue since being coerced into upgrading to windows 10. I have a Pixma mg7150 that had worked without any real issues up to that point. So I finally decided that I would like to scan some documents at home only to realize that after the upgrade the wireless scan function from the printer's touch screen wasn't working q.Q.

After troubleshooting everything under the sun one by one following restarts of the computer and printer upon each test (uninstalling printers, reinstalling printers, resetting the printer to factory settings, reinstalling software for the printer from the full install package, reinstalling software from individual downloads of each specific tool, checking router settings, checking the printer network settings, etc.) it came down to actually checking off the XPS drivers on the install after finding that this was never even included in any sort of "troubleshooting" by default... and one would think that XPS drivers wouldn't relate to what are, seemingly, network issues. Don't ask why I didn't just install everything from the start... I think it was one of those moments where you go "ehhh, am i reallllllly going to need that?"

As soon as I ran that (thinking it can't be something so simple or potentially unrelated to connectivity / network issues) the printer was able to do the following:

1. connect up to try to update its firmware (it didn't need to since i did that manually)

2. detect my computer when using the printer's touch screen menu in the scan function

3. scan wirelessly from the printer's touch screen scan function

::sigh:: 

It was either what I did here or the cookie i spilled into my cooling fan that fed the magical computer gnomes and made them help the wireless scanning function on my pixma mg7150 work again.

Thanks Fodder 5.Your post was the only post that helped me!! But I didn't install anything. I simply went to "Control Panel"-"Devices and printers" and double clicked the canon printer. And as you say through this way IT SCANNED!! So thanks a lot as I wasted some time on this.

Guys,

I tried everything on this page but nothing worked.

Then I decided to not only install MG2900 series Full Driver & Softeware Package, but also installed MG2900 series MP Drivers Ver1.01. Once the Ver1.01 drivers were installed the scanner started to work

hi, i tried everything that i was told to do. 

this is my second day of trying to fix this **bleep**.

i'm not going to buy anymore canon products - utter crap.

am totoally fed up and frustrated. wtf it was working last week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I just got the MX922 a few days ago.

The Canon IJ scan utility does not work. It says “Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:

Scanner is turned off (that could never be the case if it had auto on/off)

USB cable is disconnected.

Please check and try again. Scanner will be closed

code5.156.69

Of course neither is the case.

Also the MX922 scanner button does not work. Press it, go thriugh its routine and it says 'processing. please wait momentarily', then it returns to its start page, never scanning.

I have both Windows Fax & Scan app and FreeOCR, and have been using them with Microtek and Lexmark scanners.

The MX922 works fine with both on my Win 10 bulid 17735rs5_release 180807.1451. Open either program, select a scanner follow directions.

I prefer and am using FreeOCR.

I do not believe the printer is defective.

I have done the driver downloads and reinstalls at least 4 times, coming up with the same results. Thus I think this is a Canon software problem and they need to resolve it.

fdu
Apprentice

My Lide 120 definetively does not work on my Windows 10.

I had to download VueScan to make it work

It's so sad that the original software just doesn't work!

marelee
Apprentice

Few years down the road but the problems still exist, and I know whats happening, its the resolve to correct it or stop it..

This occurred the first time back in October of 2017,  time warner switched to spectrum, so we went from modem to modem and router. (this is important)  I needed to have the laptop using the printer along with the pc. So, in attempting to put the printer which is an MG6821 on wifi  from USB, this problem occurred.  I worked on it for a whole day and finally it all worked out.. the Printer/scanner/copier was working on both pc and laptop.. The wifi won out..

Now, here we on a few months down the road,  Spectrum again switched by to a modem which they clam acts as both modem and router.. But the wifi on the printer is not compatable with this new modem/router.   Well, uninstalling both the printer and the software,  I went back to USB.. This is fine, the printer works, I can even copy (which uses the scanner mind you, its still there, but it is shut off due to lack of using it on wifi and the network.  go figure..  

So this is an issue where we need to find the right control aspect to turn the scanner back on, to change its status on network drivers versus usb drivers.. I've gone through the  register, since the  scanner in property in device manger  claims the drivers in  location  0000.001d.0007.006.000.000.000.000.000 -   Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Now, bottom line this driver I do believe is going to be the network driver it wants and cannot find.. 

1. I have removed all of canon from the computer

2. I have downloaded 3 times, all of the  update drivers and progams.

3. I have removed the printer from the system a number of times,

4 I have cleaned the register a number of times for stray bits

5. I have turned the computer off and on during this entire process a half dozen times to clean out the register from what it was to what it is..

6. I can print

7. I can copy - and it uses the scanner..

8. The scanner itself gives out  the error code 5, 156, 69  Now you have a list of those codes and I can work well using them if I know what they are..  lastly the new code error from the properties is 39. so please post what these error codes are, my computer, error code books are a good 10 years old, not sure I can get an accurate answer from those.  

All help is so appreciated.. thank you....

VINAYAKTRIPATHI
Apprentice

i also have the same problem and nothing works i have cannon pixma MG2400 series printer/scanner but it has stopped scanning . i have windows 7 onn my pc. please reply.........

Announcements