cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code 5 156 69

bmijgoodrich
Apprentice

The scanner is not working. I keep getting an error saying that the Scanner is turned off and the USB is disconnected. Neither are true. The printing function works and it's connected by a USB cable. I've tried multiple USB ports, I've deleted extra folders in the TWAIN_32 folder besides the MX390 Series folder. and the wiatwain.ds file. I am running Windows 7. Thanks for any suggestions.

38 REPLIES 38

Ramona
Authority

Hi bmijgoodrich,

If you have any antivirus or firewall programs on your computer, please temporarily disable them and then try to scan again. If you still have difficulty scanning, we can remove a file/icon on your computer named "My Websites on MSN" to see if this will resolve the issue.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Click 'Start' and then 'Computer'.

2.  On the left-hand pane, click the down arrow beside Local Disk (C).

3.  Click the down arrow beside Users to open the folder.

4.  Click the down arrow beside your username (for example Joe).

5.  Click the down arrow beside the AppData (Application Data) folder.

6.  Click the down arrow beside Roaming.

7.  Click the down arrow beside Microsoft.

8.  Click the down arrow beside the Windows folder.

9.  Click the down arrow beside Network Shortcuts folder.

10.  Locate an icon named My Web Sites on MSN.

11.  Right-click on My Web Sites on MSN and select 'Delete'.

After performing these steps, please attempt to scan again.

This didn't answer your question or issue?  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hey, I am using WindowsXP, and I also run into the same problem while using MG7170 scanner function. Exactly the same error message pop out. Could someone help??

This doesn't work and didn't apply to me since I don't use MSN and didn't have this folder on my computer.  Please post a response that works.

Hi catalsit4182,

What version of Windows do you have on your computer?

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi catgalsit4182,

Did you already happen to move all files unrelated to your printer from the TWAIN_32 folder as well?  Also, do you have the PIXMA MX390 series printer, or another printer model?

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Me  too.....

This  bloody  thing has been used  about 10  times ~ and  is about as useful as **bleep** on a bull!

I got up Step 9 - there was nothing in the folder. 

I have the same problem i need help , i have windows 10 , is this cause because of lack of ink?

No, my ink is full.  I can't seem to get an answer as to why this is happening.

Announcements