Apprentice

Canon Pixma MP495 will not print

I replaced the black ink cartrige

Color cartrige is empty

21 REPLIES 21

Ramona
Authority

Hi JEK,

The printer requires both ink cartridges to be in the printer at all times, however, you can continue printing even with the color ink cartridge being low or out of ink by disabling the ink level detection function of the printer. To do this, please press and hold down the STOP/RESET or RESUME/CANCEL button on the printer for at least 7 seconds, then release it. If successful, you should be able to continue using the printer until you are able to replace the low/out of ink cartridge.

Once you replace the color ink cartridge with a Canon genuine ink cartridge, the ink level detection function of the printer will be re-enabled.  If disabling the ink level detection function does not work, the color ink cartridge will need to be replaced in the printer. 

In addition, you can select the BLACK ONLY option in the printer driver to make it so only the black ink cartridge is used by the printer. If you would like instruciton on how to select the BLACK ONLY ink cartridge setting, please reply to this email with what operating system is on your computer (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 or Mac OS version) and we will be happy to provide instruction.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Canon,

I have the MP495.  I replaced the BLACK cartridge, but the unit does not print, though it sends out a blank sheet of paper.  The COLOR is very low, and that may be the reason.   I did hold down the reset button for as long as 30 seconds, but no change.  For the present I need to use the BLACK ONLY option, and I'd be greatly appreciative if you could help.

The computer is using Windows 8.1. 

Best Regards,

Barry Kunz

I reference your note below:

"In addition, you can select the BLACK ONLY option in the printer driver to make it so only the black ink cartridge is used by the printer. If you would like instruciton on how to select the BLACK ONLY ink cartridge setting, please reply to this email with what operating system is on your computer (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 or Mac OS version) and we will be happy to provide instruction."

Hi,

I'd like to recieve instruction on how to disable my color cartridge to print in BLACK only. My operating system is Windows 7.

Thanks!

bethanyferg,

Instructions on setting the unit for Black Only mode are already in an earlier post of this thread.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Per Ramona's email in the community forum (relevant passage below), would you please email me the instructions for enabling the Black Only option in the MX492 printer driver.

I have Windows 7 Pro

Also, will I still need to maintain a color ink cartridge in the machine after the driver is set to black only?

Many thanks.

T Brooks

Ramona: "In addition, you can select the BLACK ONLY option in the printer driver to make it so only the black ink cartridge is used by the printer. If you would like instruciton on how to select the BLACK ONLY ink cartridge setting, please reply to this email with what operating system is on your computer (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 or Mac OS version) and we will be happy to provide instruction."

ToneyB,

The instructions for the MP495 should be similar for your MX492.

You will still need to have a color cartridge installed.  If a cartridge is not installed or is empty, you will not be able to print until the empty cartridge is replaced.

If additional assistance is needed, find more help at Contact Us.

mx492 empty color and new black just installed still only prints to file and not printer. Using Win 10. Will appreciate getting info you mention on how to select black only cartridge setting Thanks

Hi rovingus,

To only use the black ink cartridge, please follow the steps in this Knowledgebase Article:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART172552

Hi Canon,

I have the MP495.  I replaced the BLACK cartridge, but the unit does not print, though it sends out a blank sheet of paper.  The COLOR is very low,      I need to use the BLACK ONLY option, and I'd   greatly appreciative if you could help by explaining clearly how to print in black only.

The computer is using Windows 10

Best Regards,

Announcements