cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon imageClass MF4450 - Windows 7 Ultimate

Scootah
Apprentice

Ok so i installed the drivers and toolkit from the cd, I've also tried to download the last from Canon but my computer just wont recognize the printer. In Device manager it sees it as an unknown device. Printer will copy files fine but not print or scan. I have uninstalled all drivers and software to get the computer back to ground zero. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Scootah

2 REPLIES 2

Patrice
Whiz

Hi Scootah!

It appears that the printer may have been connected to the computer while you were installing the drivers.  Follow the steps below to uninstall the drivers:

1. Disconnect the printer from the computer.
  2. Click the Windows [Start] button and select [All Programs].
  3. Click the [Canon] folder.
  4. Select the [MF Toolbox], then select [Uninstall Toolbox]. Complete the uninstallation program.
  5. Go back to the [Canon] folder, and then select [MF4500 Series].
  6. Select [MF Driver Uninstaller].  Complete the uninstallation program.
  7. Restart the computer.

Leaving the cable disconnected, proceed with the MF Driver and Toolbox setup, using the CD-ROM,  After the installation is complete, restart the computer, without the printer connected.  After the computer has booted up completely, verify that the USB cable is pushed in firmly on the back of the printer and then plug the machine into the computer.  You will see a dialogue box pop up in the bottom-right corner of your screen.  It should show, "Installing device driver software."  Allow this to run until you see a message that states, "Your device is installed and ready to use."

If you still see the device listed in the [Devices & Printers] window as an "Unknown Device", try moving the cable to a different port on the computer.  A couple of other things to check are the length of the cable (Recommendation is 10' or less), and if you are using a USB hub or switch.  If you are, we recommend removing the printer from the hub and making a direct connection.

If you still experience issues after performing the above steps, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) for assistance.  Have a good day.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Although your method was very helpful it didn't solve my issue. I had called supported for a fix and was able to get my printer working. Here are the step for those who have experienced my same issue or will in the future.

@Patrice wrote:

Hi Scootah!

It appears that the printer may have been connected to the computer while you were installing the drivers.  Follow the steps below to uninstall the drivers:

1. Disconnect the printer from the computer.
  2. Click the Windows [Start] button and select [All Programs].
  3. Click the [Canon] folder.
  4. Select the [MF Toolbox], then select [Uninstall Toolbox]. Complete the uninstallation program.
  5. Go back to the [Canon] folder, and then select [MF4500 Series].
  6. Select [MF Driver Uninstaller].  Complete the uninstallation program.
  7. Restart the computer.

Interjecton By Scootah:

In addition to Patrice's helpful step. My "Printer Spooler" service needed restarted before I was able to get a functioning end result. Listed below are the step to restarting the service.

Goto "Start", right-click "Computer" and select "Manage".

On the left side of this newly opened window select "Services and Applications".

In the middle of this window you should now see "Services" and "WMI Control", double-click "Services"

At this point you should see a list of all the services your computer is running. Browse through the list

and look for "Print Spooler". Once you've found it right-click and hit "Restart". Once the service has restarted, restart you computer. At this point you can continue to fallow Patrice's post. 

Leaving the cable disconnected, proceed with the MF Driver and Toolbox setup, using the CD-ROM,  After the installation is complete, restart the computer, without the printer connected.  After the computer has booted up completely, verify that the USB cable is pushed in firmly on the back of the printer and then plug the machine into the computer.  You will see a dialogue box pop up in the bottom-right corner of your screen.  It should show, "Installing device driver software."  Allow this to run until you see a message that states, "Your device is installed and ready to use."

If you still see the device listed in the [Devices & Printers] window as an "Unknown Device", try moving the cable to a different port on the computer.  A couple of other things to check are the length of the cable (Recommendation is 10' or less), and if you are using a USB hub or switch.  If you are, we recommend removing the printer from the hub and making a direct connection.

If you still experience issues after performing the above steps, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) for assistance.  Have a good day.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements