10-19-2016 07:13 PM
For my Canon MP490, I tried the suggested procedure a number of times without success. Then I discovered another fix when I googled the problem. I had just replaced the black print cartridge but not the colour one at the same time. Apparently, if the colour one is low, this can cause the error 5200. So I replaced the colour cartridge and no longer got the error message. Works fine now!
This was my problem ... "The Error 5200 code has to do with ink levels and usage within the printer. The printer is programmed to combine all of the remaining ink colors to make black. Soon this means that all ink cartridges installed in the printer are empty or close to empty. So the operator looks at the ink level guide to see that the black is gone and colors are nearly gone, and they proceed by replacing only the black ink, with the intention to use the rest of the color ink in the cartridges. However, once the black ink is installed, sometimes a malfunction of the printer and ink level reader will case the error code 5200 to appear."
Pointing this out just in case that's the problem for some users.
03-30-2017 10:15 PM
I had the same issue error code 5200 and I applied the fix you provided and it worked and the great MX340 is back into bui.siness work again! thanks for your fix and the steps that made the difference for the repair!
03-31-2017 08:19 PM
I got this error, I tried the mentioned fix but forgot to do step 5.
Now I can't get it to blank again to try that.
It no longer has the 5200 error but the printing is scrambled.
Tried the print head alingment but it doesn't work and I don't understand the scanner instructions to align it in the manual.
04-01-2017 04:27 AM
The error is a generic internal error code. Unfortunately, it could mean one of many things. To try to resolve the error, please follow the following steps:
1. Turn the unit off using the power button.
2. Lift up the scanning unit (printer cover) then place the scanning unit support into position.
3. Remove any orange protective tape and the protective material that may be present.
4. Please check for jammed paper:
4-1. Slowly pull the paper out, either from the Rear Tray or from the Paper Output Slot, whichever is easier.
4-2. If the paper tears and a piece remains inside the machine, turn the machine off, open the Scanning Unit (Printer Cover) and remove it. Be careful not to touch the components inside the machine.
5. Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) slightly to set the scanning unit back to its original position and then gently close scanning unit.
6. Reload paper on the multi-purpose tray.
7. Press the power button to turn on your MX340.
8. If the Alarm light remains on after powering up the MX340, open the cover again.
9. Remove each cartridge.
10. Unplug the power cord from the back of the PIXMA MX340.
11. Reconnect the power cord and turn the unit on.
12. Reinsert the cartridges.
13. After the cartridges have been reseated, close the cover.
14. Fan a new stack of paper then try to print again.
If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:
04-01-2017 07:43 AM
I was able to resolve the scrambled printing after they error by cleaning the clear plastic thing in the back of the printer where the ink cartridges go with a damp cloth.