Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: Canon Pixma MX340 printer. How to clear Error 5200?

I followed your steps and it worked up to a point.  I got the printer to go through the print cycle but the paper was blank when it came out.  I don't think I am out of ink.  Any ideas?

New Contributor

I believe my printer does the same thing ("print" a blank sheet of paper) after going through the process. However, you should be able to print after you have gone through the process. Have you been able to print anything? 

New Contributor

No, it keeps printing a blank sheet of paper. Ug!

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the info, cx2browns.

Our MX320 seemed to perform some reset with your list, but wouldn't even copy, let alone print for me, but throw the same code again (and again, and again).  Also, I tried the total disconect mentioned on page 1 for 10 minutes (and more, up to some hours) about 3 attempts with not as much success as even your list.  

After more searches, found a video on YouTube; 

youtube^com/watch?v=RoiBaXVhS7g

While the buttons are located in different places (His is an MP250 or such), and the fella is a little confusing, the combination he gave worked for me.

His list goes more like this:

*as mentioned below, I first disconnected the USB just to get it copying first
1. Turn the printer OFF.
2. Press and hold the Stop button for 2 seconds.
3. Press and hold the On button and release the Stop button.
4. Press the Stop button 2 times then release the On button.
5. LCD display will blank.  Press Stop button 4 times.

6. After the printer goes through some actions, display reads something like "Service Mode" on my MX320

* [Computer may detect new hardware just ignore it.  I personally preferred to disconnect the USB and just get it to copy first]
7. Turn printer OFF then turn it ON.
8.  Test copy function.  If successful, connect USB and Test print function.

New Contributor

Hey, this is all great!  But what NONE of it does is tell me HOW this "error" came up in the first place or HOW to prevent it from happening again or WHAT the printer is doing to itself when I tell it to ignore the error.  Providing solutions in the form of complex keystroke/ button combinations and power-off/ power on routines is all well and good, but if it is like fixing a nuclear leak by putting duct tape over the hole, then it is doing more harm than good.  I get the impression from other web sites that this error, 5200, has to do with ink levels.  Great.  I know that Canon purports to have ink level "sensors" built into its Pixma printers, but I have also learned that all these sensors are is an algorythm that estimates the likely amount of ink based on how much use a cartridge has had, and that if you refill a cartridge with fresh ink (as I have done) the algorythm cannot take this into account and so the printer eventually tells you that there is no ink left when there is a full reservoir of it. Worse, from what I can tell, overriding an error like the 5200 error MAY even tell the printer that hey, so, there's no black left, probably, but go ahead and use up the COLOR ink to make up for it!  So even though you may have a black ink cartridge full of black ink, the printer may start sucking out the color ink anyway because it THINKS there is no black ink left...  Until finally there is no COLOR ink left, which is much more difficult and expensive to replace/ refill.

So what are the consequences of overriding a 5200 error??  We still do not know.  I know my black ink cartridge is full of fresh ink because I added the ink to the cartridge myself, but I do not know the actual status of my color ink cartridge... and I really, really don't want to just override the error and then end up with no color ink in a few days.

Bottom line: it isn't a "solution" if it just makes an error "go away."  A solution has to address the cause of the problem, which this thread does not do.

New Contributor

thank you cx2browns! It works now! thank you so much!
New Contributor

And another blindman walks straight down the cliff...
New Contributor

better to be a blindman with a working printer than someone else with time to lose ....

New Contributor

Thank you so much this worked, I have been trying to fix this for three days, and decided to look on line for the answer which sent me to you. 100 stars for you. THIS WORKS IF DONE RIGHT. again God Bless you.

MBA
New Contributor

Thankyou soooooo much. 

I had many things to print and the printer just buckled. 

Thankyou for all these forums..it just worked..