cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma MG5250 scans and prints images wrongly stretched/contracted

thom36
Apprentice

hi!

i have a problem with my pixma 5250 which is an all in one. When i scan an image, what i get on my screen is an image with the correct width, but with a shorter height.

see this image:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

i have tried two different programs to print, tried updating the driver, fiddled with scanning settings on the printer, tried several different scanning settings in the software, tried different images, but to no avail.

When i try to print, however, it seems that the effect goes the other way round: now the images i want to print are strechted along the vertical axis, but still of the same width.
see this image:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anyone got an idea what could cause this problem? Is it a hardware thing? A driver malfunction? Maybe my OS (Win XP)? I must add that i have issues with my hard drive, and with my usb drives (i connect with my printer via wifi btw) .
Anyone has a clue? I'd be grateful.

4 REPLIES 4

Karl1
Rising Star

Hi thom36,

Regarding the scanning issue, I suspect what is happening is that the scanner is incorrectly detecting the end of the image at the top, causing it to crop incorrectly.  Assuming you are using the MP Navigator software to scan, you should see a checkbox in the scan window for "Scan with Scanner Driver.  If you put a checkmark in the box, then press Scan it will open Scangear.  Within Scangear, press Preview to preview the entire image, then drag a box around the part that you want to include.   Press Scan to finish scanning.  Everything within the box should now be included in the final scan.

Regarding the picture you are printing, the dimensions of the original don't match the dimensions of the printed picture, so I suspect what is happening there is that it's stretching the picture to fill the whole paper.  This can occur when you select borderless printing.  If you print the picture without using borderless printing it will give you a true reproduction of the image.   One thing to note when you do this is to make sure that the size of the picture matches the size of the paper you are using.  For example, if you are printing on 4x6 paper, which I am guessing is the case in the example you provided, make sure that the picture size is no larger than 4x6, or else the entire picture will not fit onto the paper when you print it bordered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi, thanks for your reply!

When i press preview, it makes a scan, but the image is already streched. It doesn't really matter what i do with the box afterwards. There might be a driver problem. When i go to start > printers and faxes, i suddenly saw my printer entered twice, one with (1) behind it. I deleted both entries, and reinstalled. 

Is there a way to calibrate the scanner btw?  If you press the encircled i in scangear, it shows the scan data, and there is an option: calibrate at each scan (don't know the exact english term, as i have the dutch version)

btw, the original size of the balloon image is 1914x2635 and the original size og the rat is 500x338 

Hi thom36!
Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry! We appreciate your participation, however we need to let you know that your product seems to be a model that is not supported by our team here at Canon USA. The Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for the US market. If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your support needs. Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

ok!

Announcements