cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MX922 completely freezes - completely locked up, buttons have ZERO affect

KruseLudington
Contributor

Sometimes, if I haven't used my printer for a while (several hours to a day) - then the display goes dark as expected. Pressing any button makes the display come back. But sometimes that is all that will happen. Pressing ANY OTHER bussone on the tnire front of the printer - including the power button - has no effect. They don't beep or anything. Pulling the power cord and plugging that back in is the ONLY option. Has anybody run into this and how to do stop this from happening in the future?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well that is useless that there is no answer from support.

I have worked in technology for many years, I believe it is a memory leak in the software (firmware) in the printer when there are communicaiton problems (something is queued up within the printer's memory and the queue keeps growing until the printer runs out of memory).

As I have fixed all the communication problems with this printer, the problem went away. Here is the solution I used to resolve the communication problems:

Click HERE to see how I fixed a myriad of problems

I guess there's nothing as simple as just setting up a forum for customers and then ignoring it when you don't know what to say, and hoping the customers fix the issue themselves. Jeez. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi KruseLudington,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you. Although the printer power cord is plugged into a power strip with surge protection, which is plugged into another power strip with surge protection, and the ethernet cable to the printer is plugged into is plugged into a router that is plugged into a power strip with surge protection, and the telephone line plugged into the printer runs through a power strip with surge protection for phone lines as well - the suppoprt folks already told me that it was most likely a power surge. They told me that I needed to disconnect it from everything for an hour and see if the problem permanently goes away when I plug it back in - so I did that and it is working, but we need 24-48 hours to verify the problem has not come back...

Same problem this morning (frown, see my other message from before). Also, the printer probably froze up sometime last night, a few hours after I turned off the PC (but left the printer on of course). I tried to print from email a photo (while computer was off and printer was on, printer is on ethernet), and it didn't print. However I did get an email saying the email was accepted for printing. This morning the printer was locked up, just like yesterday. I checked the print server website and the photo showed as 'printing'. I unplugged the printer but immediately plugged it back in, then turned it on, and of course was reprimanded for unplugging it and not turning it off correctly. Then the "print from email" photo printed, and afterward the printer beeped that it was unable to communicate with the server. Then about 5 minutes later it printed the photo again on it's own and I checked the website afterward again, only at that point did the photo disappear form the server queue. The printer is working fine now. I am connected with the LAN on ethernet, and the only setting I changed was the DRX setting is OFF. If I do not keep that disabled, then I have connectivity problems with the printer. I think the firmware on the printer has a memory leak or there is some kind of polling logic within the firmware that may end up with some kind of a queue that gets bigger and bigger in the logic until the printer just runs out of memory. It must be some sort of an issue like that. PLEASE ADVISE.

Based on what you describe, It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I did reach out. They had no solution. What is the solution?

Well that is useless that there is no answer from support.

I have worked in technology for many years, I believe it is a memory leak in the software (firmware) in the printer when there are communicaiton problems (something is queued up within the printer's memory and the queue keeps growing until the printer runs out of memory).

As I have fixed all the communication problems with this printer, the problem went away. Here is the solution I used to resolve the communication problems:

Click HERE to see how I fixed a myriad of problems

I guess there's nothing as simple as just setting up a forum for customers and then ignoring it when you don't know what to say, and hoping the customers fix the issue themselves. Jeez. 

Announcements