cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MX920 is always offline

MathijsMoonen
Apprentice

A couple of months ago I bought a Canon MX920 series printer and after I installed it it worked perfectly fine, however, since a couple of days ago I'm no longer able to print. Every time I press the 'print' button I get the message 'The printer is offline. Please check if the printer is either connected or turned on' (rough translation, i'm using a dutch computer). After having done both those things the printer still doesnt work. The printer works fine for all the other computers in my house, except for the one i'm using. The computer system that I use is Windows 7. 

Does anybody know how to resolve this issue? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi MathijsMoonen,

The Windows Firewall could cause this to occur.  To temporarily disable the Windows Firewall, please follow these steps:

1.  Click on Start and then Control Panel.

2.  Click on Security Center and then Windows Firewall.

3.  Select OFF and then click OK.

Once disabled, open the Canon IJ Network Tool to verify communication:

1.  Click Start point to All Programs, Canon IJ Network Utilities, Canon IJ Network Tool and then click on Canon IJ Network Tool.

2.  Select the machine and click Utility.

3.  Select Network in the pop-up menu.

4.  Select the machine and click Network Settings.

Once set, please attempt to print.  If the issue persists, please try this:

1.  Press <SETUP>.

2.  Press the right arrow key to select Device Settings and press OK.

3.  Press the down arrow key to select LAN Settings and press OK.

4.  Press OK on Confirm LAN Settings.

5.  Press OK on WLAN Settings List.

The IP address will be in this list, please copy the address down on a piece of paper.

On the computer, please follow these steps:

2.  Click on Printers.

3.  Right click the PIXMA MX920 and left click on Properties.

4.  Click on the Ports tab.

5.  Click the Add Port button.

6.  Choose Standard TCP/IP Port.

7.  Click New Port.

8.  In the wizard, click Next and then type the IP address of your printer in the box.

9.  Click Next.

10.  Click Finish.

11.  The checkmark should be next to the port that we just created.  If not, please checkmark it.

12.  Click Apply and OK.

The issue should be resolved.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

There too many steps here.

It is so easy for human error.

Plus, I do not want to turn off my firewall.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Danny

Hi, MathijsMoonen!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know whether your printer is connected directly to the computer or if it's accessed through a router.  We also need to know whether the printer communicates with that computer or router via Wi-Fi or USB. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, search our knowledge base or contact our US-based technical support team at http://canon.us/SupportCF

Thanks and have a great day!

Thank you for your quick response! The printer is not directly connected to my computer. The printer itself is connected to our router wirelessly, and my computer is connected to the router by cable.

Hi MathijsMoonen,

The Windows Firewall could cause this to occur.  To temporarily disable the Windows Firewall, please follow these steps:

2.  Click on Security Center and then Windows Firewall.

3.  Select OFF and then click OK.

Once disabled, open the Canon IJ Network Tool to verify communication:

1.  Click Start point to All Programs, Canon IJ Network Utilities, Canon IJ Network Tool and then click on Canon IJ Network Tool.

2.  Select the machine and click Utility.

3.  Select Network in the pop-up menu.

4.  Select the machine and click Network Settings.

Once set, please attempt to print.  If the issue persists, please try this:

1.  Press <SETUP>.

2.  Press the right arrow key to select Device Settings and press OK.

3.  Press the down arrow key to select LAN Settings and press OK.

4.  Press OK on Confirm LAN Settings.

5.  Press OK on WLAN Settings List.

The IP address will be in this list, please copy the address down on a piece of paper.

On the computer, please follow these steps:

2.  Click on Printers.

3.  Right click the PIXMA MX920 and left click on Properties.

4.  Click on the Ports tab.

5.  Click the Add Port button.

6.  Choose Standard TCP/IP Port.

7.  Click New Port.

8.  In the wizard, click Next and then type the IP address of your printer in the box.

9.  Click Next.

10.  Click Finish.

11.  The checkmark should be next to the port that we just created.  If not, please checkmark it.

12.  Click Apply and OK.

The issue should be resolved.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Unfortunately step 3 after opning the Canon IJ Network Tool to verify communacation didnt work. The program couldn't find the computer connected to the network. I am however certain that it is in fact connected to the network, as all the other computers/laptops are connected to the printer via our network. The printer was turned on while I was taking all the suggested steps.

Hi MathijsMoonen,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

I tried to follow on line insturctions but nothing works.  Now my firewall is disabled and I don't know why it keeps going off line.  Please advise.  Of note. I am using Windows 10 so instructions need to be step by step, please.  Thank you

I can't believe the long list of things to do to fix my problem. I have always bought Canon products but will definitely choose something else next time.  This is the worst printer I have ever owned. I have followed these instruction when the printer was

new and it works well for a short time and then for no reason will stop working over and over.  It is so disappointing.

Not happy

Here is how to fix Printer offline problem in Windows 10

Search Control panel in taskbar search and click on it to go to control panel.

Click on view devices and printers.

Now, right click on your printer icon and check the option saying set as default printer.

Now, again do a right click and click on see what’s printing.

Now, Click on printer tab on the top.

Now, Make sure to uncheck the option saying use printer offline.

Source:- http://merabheja.com/fix-printer-offline-windows-10/

I can't thank you enough for this solution! I've been looking for help with this issue for hours. Some were far too convoluted, too technical and/or didn't work, regardless.

This was a simple and easy way to once again become connected and print.

Truly appreciate the assistance!

Announcements