cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MP Navigator Stopped Working (MX870)

jealkon
Apprentice

Running Windows7, 64 bit Oper System

Canon MX870

Scanning was not an issue prior to a few days ago. No new software or programs have been installed.

Went to scan a document and scanning looked like it was working, then it greyed out and received error message: Canon MP Navigator EX has stopped working.

Searched internet for solutions and tried them. Nothing works. I've gone as far to un-install all Canon products and utilities, even went into registry and searched and removed everything I thought I could related to Canon.

Still receive error. What do I do now?

Guess I've pretty much stumped the panal since there's been no response

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi jealkon,

There may be a third party scanner driver interfering with MP navigator.  Please try the following:

1.  Click 'Start' and then 'Computer'.

2.  On the left-hand pane, click the down arrow beside Local Disk (C: ).

3.  Click the down arrow beside Windows to open the folder

4.  Highlight the twain_32 folder.

5.  The folder should have 2 folders that start with PIXMA MX870 and a file called wiatwain.ds.  Any other folders or files should be dragged to the desktop. 

6.  Reboot the computer and try scanning again.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

Hi ANNABELLA2!
Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry! We appreciate your participation, however we need to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. Canon USA is only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used in the US market. If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your support needs. Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

I have the same problem as Annabelle. I have tried all these, there is no file in the network settings and the following are in my

twain_32 folder:

MX350 series (folder)

wiatwain.ds  (file)

thats it.

Cannot scan. this is very frustrating. I live in the US.

Hi aplatt1951!

Welcome to the Canon Forums! So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what equipment you're using, any error messages you're getting, and the Computer Operating System you're using (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or Mac 10.x), as well as the way you connect to your device (USB or networked via WiFi or Ethernet). Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue! Thanks and have a great day!

I am running windows 7 pro. error message is

Canon MP Navigator EX has stopped working.  Then it says the program will stop and I will be notified when a solution is found. which never happens. My equipment is MX350 WiFi. Until recently there were no problems.

Hello.

The issue that you are experiencing could be caused by other TWAIN devices that have been installed previously on the computer.  Removing these devices from the Windows Twain32 folder may resolve this.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Click on Start.

2.  Type TWAIN_32 and press the ENTER key on the keyboard.

3.  When the TWAIN_32 folder appears, take note of what is in the folder.  We are going to move anything that is not needed for the Canon unit to operate.  Files that are going to stay are wiatwain.ds and any Canon-related folders.  Canon folders could be named MPxxx or CNQxxx.  Leave those files/folders in this window.  If there are any others, right click them and left click on CUT.

4.  Close the window.  On the Desktop, right click and left click on PASTE.  The folder should now be on the Desktop. 

5.  Click Start and then search for TWAIN_32 again.  Click on the folder that appears in the results above.

6.  In the TWAIN_32 window, repeat the above process until all that is left in the TWAIN_32 folder is wiatwain.ds and the Canon folder, for example MPxxx.

Once that is complete, restart the computer.

When the computer restarts, attempt to scan again.

If these troubleshooting steps do not work, feel free to call us at 1-800-OKCANON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have same problem and have not solved. the software will not start, the error message says: it stopped working.

I am running it on Windows Vista Home Premium (service pack 2) . Device is connected via USB.

I have read the other posts about the twain 32 folder but they refer to other operating systems  such as windows 7.  I also tried reinstalling the software. In fact, the cannon website where you can get support does not seem to have the model MX870.  I had to select model MX876 which was the closest, in order to obtain a link to download the software.

Please help

I just wanted to tell you how I solved the issue. The laptop is fresh Windows 10 installation on a former Windows 7 and 8 upgraded. I tried everything to make it working, including solutions I found on the net and USB connection. My setup is a MG6250 printer conected wifi to a router to which the computer is connected as well in WIFI. I had installed the MP Navigator as administrator and also set the administrator in the properties compatibility setting when running the software, but it wouldn't work.

However, finally the only way it worked was - without uninstalling the software itself as well as the drivers and other related software - to download the MG6200 series Mini Master Setup  for Windows 8 64 bit (which was the system on which it worked) and for the MG6250 printer.

This is basically the software for first installation which is on the installing CD-Rom which comes shipped with the printer and which I didn't have anymore.

I then let the installation run for my setup (wifi over router) and finish. Finally I tested the whole with My-Printer. As mentioned I did not unistall anysoftware previously installed.

When two big corporations are finger pointing on each othet that measn both are clueless and irresponsible.

The entire MX series always was problematic for drivers , we have had MX860 and MX870 for years and we just retired the last one today,
Most probably the worst drivers Canon ever made...
They are not even compatible from one scanner to an other, we have one MP navigator per device on our computers... Lid 90 uses 1.0, MX 860 uses 2.0, MX 870 uses 3.1
Shows you how much Canon respects his clients...

They they will tell you customers are not loyal! How can we be?

anon Never again for us... Worst divres on the market ...

rafirondon
Contributor

I have same problem and have not solved

I am running it on Windows Vista Home Premium (service pack 2) . Device is connected via USB.

I have read the other posts about the twain 32 folder but they refer to other operating systems  such as windows 7.  I also tried reinstalling the software. In fact, the cannon website where you can get support does not seem to have the model MX870.  I had to select model MX876 which was the closest, in order to obtain a link to download the software.

Please help

Announcements