cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MG5220 won't print black

TeachSMH
Apprentice

My Canon mg5220 will not print black. I have refillable cartridges in it. I took the print head out and cleaned it. The cartridges have plenty of ink. Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Karl1
Rising Star

Hi TeachSMH,

physically cleaning will only get the outside of the print head clean.  Since the nozzles are so tony they can only be cleaned by going through the cleaning process in the Maintenance menu of the printer.  Please try the following steps 2-3 times conescutively for the best results:

. Make sure that the power is turned on.

2. Make sure that one or more sheets of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper are loaded in the Cassette.

3. Open the Paper Output Tray gently, and open the Output Tray Extension.
IMPORTANT
  • If the Inner Cover is open, close it.

4. Clean the Print Head deeply.

(1) Select Setup  on the HOME screen.
The Setup menu screen will appear.

(2) Select Maintenance , and press the OK button.
The Maintenance screen will appear.

(3) Select Deep cleaning, and press the OK button.
The confirmation screen will appear.

(4) Select Yes, and press the OK button.
The machine starts cleaning the Print Head deeply.
Do not perform any other operations until the machine completes the deep cleaning of the Print Head. This takes about 2 minutes 30 seconds.
The pattern print confirmation screen will appear.

(5) Select Yes, and press the OK button.
The nozzle check pattern will be printed.

(6) When the completion message appears, press the OK button.
The screen will return to the Maintenance screen.

If the issue persists, I recommend using the Contact Us link to get in touch with our support staff who can provide service options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Karl1
Rising Star

Hi TeachSMH,

physically cleaning will only get the outside of the print head clean.  Since the nozzles are so tony they can only be cleaned by going through the cleaning process in the Maintenance menu of the printer.  Please try the following steps 2-3 times conescutively for the best results:

. Make sure that the power is turned on.

2. Make sure that one or more sheets of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper are loaded in the Cassette.

3. Open the Paper Output Tray gently, and open the Output Tray Extension.
IMPORTANT
  • If the Inner Cover is open, close it.

4. Clean the Print Head deeply.

(1) Select Setup  on the HOME screen.
The Setup menu screen will appear.

(2) Select Maintenance , and press the OK button.
The Maintenance screen will appear.

(3) Select Deep cleaning, and press the OK button.
The confirmation screen will appear.

(4) Select Yes, and press the OK button.
The machine starts cleaning the Print Head deeply.
Do not perform any other operations until the machine completes the deep cleaning of the Print Head. This takes about 2 minutes 30 seconds.
The pattern print confirmation screen will appear.

(5) Select Yes, and press the OK button.
The nozzle check pattern will be printed.

(6) When the completion message appears, press the OK button.
The screen will return to the Maintenance screen.

If the issue persists, I recommend using the Contact Us link to get in touch with our support staff who can provide service options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I did this and it worked! Thank you!

My 5320 wilol not print from the large black cartrige.  I have tried three different cartriges and have replaced the print head with a new one.  I have gone through 3 regular cleanings and 3 deep cleanings.  Still nothing at all.  Is there anything else that can be done.

Hi htobin,

Since performing the cleanings and deep cleanings, as well as replacing the print head did not resolve the issue, the printer will require servicing.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

I understand this uses a lot of ink.  Can I just clean the black head or do I have to do all of then even though only the black is plugged?

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

The cleaning process will use all of the colors.  There is no way to isolate a particular color for this process.

If you continue to have difficulties, find more help at Contact Us.

The instructions say to selected the "accept as solution" button, but I don't see one, so please accept my response as such.

Thanks.

Problem fixed immediately. Thank you!

Mine has just started to do the same thing. I already have a filthy hate for this particular unit, so having to search for this "solution" is truly a nightmare. Smashing this piece of garbage onto the concrete parking lot in front of me would be more fulfilling at this point than actually "fixing" it, but I'll continue on.

Announcements