Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MG2120 Error Code: 5,156,61

Travis
Apprentice

Hi

I have a Canon MG2120.

I have tried to install the software and driver CD many times with everything installing correctly except for the scanner driver.

I keep getting a error message saying "Code:5,156,61 Cannot scan for these reasons: -Scanner is turned off.-USB cable is disconnected"

So I uninstalled all drivers and software, went to the Canon driver and software download page and downloaded all teh updagted drivers and software and rebooted my laptop.

After rebooting, I opened the MP Navigator and tried to scan a photo and got the same error message as before Code:5,156,61 Cannot scan for these reasons: -Scanner is turned off.-USB cable is disconnected"

Any solutions to this ?

25 REPLIES 25

Katnapper
Apprentice

Same problem here.  After much frustration and repeatedly following all recommended "solutions," uninstalling, reinstalling printer and all drivers, etc. I finally resolved by going to Control Panel and in Devices and Printers changed the default printer to the "first" instance of apparently two of the same printer installations.  What a headache.  Thank you, gbonilla for your post that led me to this resolution.

bfpike
Apprentice

Hello Everyone who is as frustrated by this issue as I was,

bfpike
Apprentice

Hello Everyone who is as frustrated by this issue as I was,

So the solution to this problem is far simpler than the Canon people would have you believe. These Canon printers have very odd communication issues if you have multiple users on one PC. I had a very similar issue in just connecting to my wireless network after I purchased a wireless extender. If your PC is on the main network but your printer is on the extender then it fails to communicate as there are conflicting MAC addresses, IP addresses, etc.

The same sort of issues result if you are trying to scan or print from one user while the printer unit itself is trying to communicate with another user. For example;

The PC is on user: "JOHN" and on the printer unit it says at the top of the display: PC LUCY then the error will persist because the printer/scanner is trying to send information to the user: "LUCY" but that user is not currently logged on so the information hits a gap and causes the error

The solution: at the bottom of the display there should be an option that says; "Save/Forward". Click that button and choose PC then select the correct user (in this example "JOHN") and then try scanning again. 

I tried virtuallly everything else including, re-installing drivers, diagnosing the printer/scanner, even tried the complex file path cut and paste solution that one Canon rep had suggested in this forum and nothing. As soon as I changed this very simple setting it worked like a charm with no problems.

I hope this helps everyone who has probably already given up and bought a different brand of printer/scanner out of spite. To the people at Canon I just have to ask, what the are they paying you for?

bfpike
Apprentice
Hello Everyone who is as frustrated by this issue as I was, So the solution to this problem is far simpler than the Canon people would have you believe. These Canon printers have very odd communication issues if you have multiple users on one PC. I had a very similar issue in just connecting to my wireless network after I purchased a wireless extender. If your PC is on the main network but your printer is on the extender then it fails to communicate as there are conflicting MAC addresses, IP addresses, etc. The same sort of issues result if you are trying to scan or print from one user while the printer unit itself is trying to communicate with another user. For example; The PC is on user: "JOHN" and on the printer unit it says at the top of the display: PC LUCY then the error will persist because the printer/scanner is trying to send information to the user: "LUCY" but that user is not currently logged on so the information hits a gap and causes the error The solution: at the bottom of the display there should be an option that says; "Save/Forward". Click that button and choose PC then select the correct user (in this example "JOHN") and then try scanning again. I tried virtuallly everything else including, re-installing drivers, diagnosing the printer/scanner, even tried the complex file path cut and paste solution that one Canon rep had suggested in this forum and nothing. As soon as I changed this very simple setting it worked like a charm with no problems. I hope this helps everyone who has probably already given up and bought a different brand of printer/scanner out of spite. To the people at Canon I just have to ask, what the are they paying you for?

ArienAnwamane
Apprentice

This worked for me.

NB I'm not affiliated with this and am about to remove the REVO uninstall programme with hopefully no repurcussions but felt it worth the effort (it was. All done in about 20 minutes)

[Mod note: Removed per Canon Community GUIDELINES regarding promotions of third party sites/services.]

GotJunior
Apprentice

Problem solved: Canon Pixma MG5350

Scan over USB refused showing the code mentioned.

This happened when at the same time the WIFI connection

being active. Turn the WIFI off; problem solved.

Announcements