cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MG 5420 Black Ink

Dale1966
Apprentice

Hello

I recently bought the Canon MG 5420 printer. I am wondering, I print mostly black documents as I am a student and don't use the color as much as the black. Will the printer still operate with just using the black cartige when I run out of the color. Also which of the black ink tanks are for black printing only in black, because there are 2 of them. Is it the big one or the smaller black one? 

Let me know

2 REPLIES 2

Julius
Rising Star

Hello!

The printer is a full-color printer that requires all the ink tanks inserted for it to function.  The reason for the two different black ink tanks are for the different type of printing each one can perform.

The larger black tank is a pigment based tank and is primarily used for standard black text printing or output. 

The smaller black ink tank is dye based like the color inks, and is used for photo and graphics output. 

You can adjust the quality setting to 'fast' in order to reduce the amount of ink that is used.  This will help conserve the ink used from the large black tank with your normal print jobs.

Hope this helps!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I just ran out of my large back tank. Is there anyway to set the printer to use the small one, or even use a spare small one in the large spot? I definitely print "fast" and am extremely dissappointed with the ink options and more so the prices. Looking towards a Brother....

Thanks for your time!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements