cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot solve E5 error on Pixma MP160

perbylund
Apprentice

I took my old (but trusted) Pixma MP160 with me on a 600+ mile drive (mostly/only highway), and when I arrived I get an E5 error. It seems to have to do with the color cartridge, but I cannot solve it. Have tried the possible solutions here and here several times, but nothing seems to work. I believe it is the color cartridge, because when I remove the color one there is only one orange LED blinking (color; because there is no cartridge?); when I reenter it, both ink LEDs blink.

The not-so-fun fact is that the printer worked without any problems when I left. So it cannot reasonably be a faulty cartridge or the "favorite" manufacturer explanation that it's-not-a-real-Canon-cartridge-that's-why. If it worked before, it should continue to work.

I've managed to get the printer to print color test pages, but they turn out blank. However, I've checked and the cartridge is not empty.

Does anyone know how to deal with this problem? Or do I need to discard the printer...?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi perbylund,

To try and resolve the error, please remove and reseat both ink cartridges in the printer, then power off the printer, unplug the power cord from the back and leave it out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in and turn it back on.  If the error persists, the printer will require servicing.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Ramona
Authority

Hi perbylund,

To try and resolve the error, please remove and reseat both ink cartridges in the printer, then power off the printer, unplug the power cord from the back and leave it out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in and turn it back on.  If the error persists, the printer will require servicing.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I've had this same error. Ink cartridges worked fine a couple months ago, have plenty of ink, and now when I want to use it I get the dreaded E5. Please tell us how to get past this issue so we can continue to use your products. As it stands, I won't be buying another Canon printer, and I'll be sure to share this story with others. Thanks for your assistance to this matter.

Dear Ramona,

Thanks to you, my MP160 works like a charm again! Saved me a lot of trouble.

douglburt
Apprentice

I have the exact same problem... printer worked fine and now after a month or so of non-usage, I get the E 5 message.  FOllowed the suggestion of resetting the cartridges and unplugging for over 10 min., but still not working..... any other ideas.  Cartriges are not empty!

Have you been able to overcome the E5 problem?

no

Hello.

Additional troubleshooting will have to be done to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Announcements