cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Another broken Canon printer: U052 for my MP640 printer. Will Canon reply with a fix?

They haven't replied to me and it's been at least 2 weeks.

It is quite evident that Canon have no intention of acting on the U052 error. They have continued to sell printers knowing that they would all become dysfunctional with the same fault mode that one has to conclude is pre-programmed. This is intentional misrepresentation and would contravene most consumer protection legislation. 

by any chance did any of you get a  software program survey installed on your computer by Canon?  yes, that's right! Canon istalled software on my computer without my permission wanting to track all activity on my Pixma 852 such as pages printed, printhead activity and much more for ten years.  Of course i uninstalled it.  i think this is their way of trying to figure out what is going on.  you can research this to see what i am talking about.  unbelievable!

many other canon owners received the same software on their computer

I received a similar email from a forum moderator, so I think everything is legitimate.  I wouldn't hold out for a public announcement from a vice president seeking damaged products.  However, I am glad Canon is taking care of the people on here looking for help.

I hope I will also receive a PM from Canon soon. I have exhausted all steps that Canon and Internet recommd but my MX892 still shows the same U052 error. What I don't understand is why a printhead failure would lock down the printer completelly, even for a function such as scan that does not need printing at all. 

I, too, am hoping to get the PM some of you have received already.  To date, I haven't replaced my Pixma MG5320 Canon printer because a lot of what I'm reading about other printers is worrisome. For those who did get the PM -  did you contact Canon directly?  Should the rest of us  send another message to the email provided in someone's previous post?  Suggestions and guidance would be appreciated.

Hi JLH,

I received the Private Message only because I posted comments about my experience with my relatively new Canon MG5320 on this site. It's because of this forum, the originator and the contributors that have made Canon react to our complaints. However I'm concerned about a couple of issues.

1) The replacement printer that they send out may also produce this U052 error after a year or two of use.

*My printer sits in my home office and sees very little use. I generally had it turned off until I needed to use it.

So it doesn't seem like usage is an issue.

2) Although some of us are receiving a replacement printer, the evidence embedded in the malfunctioning printer will be

gone.

I already purchased a replacement printer so the offer came a little too late even though I responded to the proposition.

I checked the retail value of the replacement printer, and it's not a refurbished model, it'a a very good deal.

I don't mean to sound negative. What Canon has done is very commendable. And I look forward to the replacement model. At least I don't have to donate the current model to the recycling dealer and Canon can investigate the source of the problem.  I am concerned that the RMA info that is associated with the return instructs me to REMOVE the Printhead, the cartridges and any loose items. I don't see how they can investigate the U052 error if I don't return the Printhead that exhibits the problem.

Sometimes a Freudian slip is telling.

I own a perfectly good MP600 printer and just got the dreaded U052 printhead error immediately following replacing all my ink cartridges...funny how that worked. I called Canon and went through the "troubleshooting" steps. I did not work. I'm furious. This is a design flaw in the firmware and CANON SHOULD FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY.

CANON...I'm waiting...

Unfortunately, you have joined a thread of 15+ pages waiting for an answer. It's sad that they are ignoring the issue. I suppose that when the class action gets filed, it will be in their interest to wake up
Announcements