cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

to GuyNamedJoe,

Just want to thank you for posting the info about the class action lawsuit. Part of the lawsuit should require them to notify people that purchased these printers - especially those (like me) that just called Canon customer service to find a solution. Unfortunately, I can't find my receipt , but I'm going to attempt to submit my bank statement with my $104.86 purchase at Walmart.com. (Walmart.com only retains receipts since 2013.) I just purchased a Brother printer. Canon - never again!

If you Registered the printer with Canon previously, you should NOT need the receipt. If you paid Walmart by Credit Card or Check, either your credit card or bank statement may have the info.

JLH
Contributor

My Pixma MG5320 Canon printer is about a year old and has been used very little.  All of a sudden we're getting this U052  code.  I've tried a number of "fix it" leads found on the internet... unplugging the power source for 5-10 min, removing the ink and printer head and rinsing the printer head and reinstalling it, etc.  Nothing has worked.  Very disappointed in this product.

This thread is growing. Is there anyone who has replaced their printhead and that has solved the problem? What was the cost? Has there been any response by Canon to this thread? How does this get taken further?

Is there an ombudsman for this industry? Is it an industry standard that if one part of a three-in-one machine goes down then the scanner and emailer no longer works?

I replaced the printhead and it had no effect. I sent the printer to an authorized Canon repair facility and they said the problem was caused by a either a vacuum or full reservoir used for ink for head cleaning.  It would cost more to fix than a new printer and no guarantee how long the fix would last so I had them recycle it inplace.  Had full set of 7 ink cartridges and new head. Also have, at home, a full replacement set of ink cartridges for the MP960 if anyone is interested for a good price.

After experiencing the Dreaded U052 Incorrect Print Head error on my relatively new Canon MG5320 Printer, I tried all the posted remedies and nothing worked.  I'm elated that I didn't purchase a replacement Print Head online and end up with a worthless piece of junk.  As I stated in a previous posting I've decided to abandon Canon as Printer Manufacturer that I will purchase from and after some research decided to purchase an Epson WF3540 All-In-One printer.  As a multiple Electrical Engineering degree holder, I know that this is a known design or manufacturing flaw. I wouldn't find it difficult to believe that this is a built-in-obsolescent scheme to encourage customers to purchase new Canon Printers. What the Printer Division and its management staff haven't realized is that the internet conjoins individuals who have experienced problems with their printers to voice their opinions.  I for one will not purchase any more Canon Printers in the future.  I can only hope that Epson hasn't followed in the same footstep as Canon in regards to their printer reliability. This segment has already engorged their wallets by charging us the price of a cheap printer for refill printer cartridges. I guess that wasn't enough profit for Canon so they decided to build in a failure mechanism into their printers. Sorry Canon, the word will spread and your printer Division will become extinct. 

Hi RenuNergy,  Just a word on possible problems with Epson printers. The reason I went to Canon in the first place was because I used to have an Epson printer. I didn't use my printer very often and every time I went to print, the print heads needed cleaning and servicing, wasting loads of ink. Eventually they just stopped working.  Although I am totally done with Canon after my not-very-old printer has become a useless piece of junk and I suspect, as you say, that Canon builds in this obsolescence, I have to say that the Canon printer had no trouble printing after it had not been used for a while.

I'd be interested to know if Epson printers have improved in this area and would love to hear back from anyone that has experience with them as I too am looking to replace the Canon with anything but Canon.  I'm not impressed with their 'kind' offer to give me a 'good' price on a new printer to replace the one that should still be working. Good luck in your search and please update this site with whatever printer you decide to go with (and anyone else that finds a good replacement!) 

My MX892 died today for the same reason after a little bit more than one year of usage. So it is out of warranty. I agree with everybody else here this must be a "recall" issue that Canon should have taken serious action on. Count me in if there is a class lawsuit I'd like me money back. Shame on Canon!

Hi plumlullaby,  i actually did purchase an Epson WorkForce WF3540 the same day that I posted my last response. Costco had it on sale for $129.99. I tried my best to check the internet for reviews on the Epson Workforce printers and I saw many positive reviews. PC Mag gave it an Editor's Choice in Jan. 2013 with a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. This rating was duplicated by review.cnet.com while amazon buyers rated it at 4.2/5 with 828 reviewers out of 1,328 giving it 5 stars with another 245 giving it 4 stars. The one downside is the electronic chip on the printer cartridge that could force you to shell out bucks for the replacement cartridges unless you purchase the ones avaliable online that allow you to refill them.  There is some note that the print quality is below par but for my at home needs, this shouldn't be a problem. What I want is a reliable printer that works.  I'm going to purchase refillable ink cartridges so I can save on ink and check into the solutions to any other outstanding problems.  One of my co-workers said that printers by Brother are extremely reliable and I would had purchased one of these if they were available at an equivalent price point.

Hi canon person, you delte my upload so quickly !

You work so quick, why not let us know the solution !

Announcements