cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Momodee
Contributor

PIXMA MP500. Out of the blue, turned on printer and received this message.  Original print head, so I know it is something else. I tried the recommended remove the ink tanks, remove the printer head, put the printer head back, put the ink tanks back, turn the printer off, unplug the printer for 5-10 minutes and try again, to no avail.   I will join a class action suit.  From Canon's forum, this seems to be a known issue that Canon does not want to take responsibility for and address.  So much for Canon products for me and my family/frineds in the future,  We really need to take this to social media and not just Canon's forum.  Thanks to everyone for talking about this problem so that we know it is not just us.  

Apprentice

Add me to the list. MP830.

mascapollo
Apprentice

Talking about the printer that is not affected because it is not connected to the internet. When my MG5320 gave the U052 error I reverted to my nine years old Pixma IP3000 printer that was working fine. I was using the printer with my XP drivers. When I migrated to Windows 7, the operating system installed a new driver from windows update, then I innocently dowloaded an "on top of" driver from Canon  (canon web site says it installs on top of the windows update driver) and sudenlly my Pixma IP3000 printer stoped to print black, just prints on color. I tried to clean many times the printer head just to find that when cleaning it wastes black ink, but it prints nothing, not even a faded black. I think that driver I downloaded from Canon "programmed" the printer in some way to do that so I've been "forced" to go to a new printer.

I don't know why they do such horrible thing to us, loyalty fans. I have no printer and no scanner. I don't live in USA so it is very difficult to purchase a printer and return it if it is bad. So i have to carefully study what next printer should I choose. I've never did that with Canon. It always worked fine. They really don't care what a waste of resources they've caused. One hundred dollars is an annual salary in many countries. I prefer to give $100 to a charitable cause that to buy another Canon printer.

johnwsmith
Apprentice

I have an MP560 and just received the dreaded U052 error.  Does anbody have a resolution.

wiredefx
Enthusiast
I guess someone got their post deleted. Got an email that someone posted in here and the link said I don't have sufficient privileges.... And no new post when I got here. lol.
I loved canon printers ever since Ive owned my first computer, it just burns me to no end that canon is screwing us. My first canon printer was a BJC-200 (or something like that). It was quickly upgraded.

k8l
Apprentice

Pixma MG5320

Went from working perfectly to Error Message UO52, "Type of printhead is incorrect."

Pshaw!!  First and last Canon for me!!

Blazelaw
Apprentice
I registered to post in this thread. I just spent $60.00 for new ink for ~very~ my lightly used MP600 and got the error code. Tried all the fixes but my recycle center now has another brick. I have been an avid Canon consumer going back to my AE1 Program days.

Never again.

Blazelaw
Apprentice

Google is your friend.   Are you going to delete this post too, admins?

puppylove
Enthusiast

Amazing, they are STILL monitoring and deleting posts and ignoring us.  Does anyone there not understand the concept of damage control and pr nightmare? Not to mention lifetime customers.

The fact that they pay people to sit here and on fb to delete posts they don't like is insane. Pay those people to head up an exchange program instead! Like Apple does whene a known issue is found - they have 24/7 chat and pages set up for these things.

Iceman22
Apprentice

Add me to the list. The printer was OK while it worked. Now it is junk. If Canon will not provide a resolution I guess I will purchase another Brother printer.

Announcements