cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

MX 892 suddenly has the Wrong Print Head !

I have remove the print head, cleaned it, replaced the ink cartridges, unplugged for 10 minutes.  Now what throw it away?  This is wrong!  Send me a new print head then, if this is the problem!

I have this problem as well with an MG6220. Tried the fix with no joy. Off to buy a new printer as I don't want to waste money on a new print head and end up with the same problem.

One more for you.
My MX922 just became 2 years old and I can no longer use it due to error 1403 WRONG PRINTER HEAD.
I have unsuccessfully. gone trrough the ordeal of trying every recommendation to try to clear that error.
It is certainly a softwere issue as there is no reason for it to just give that error out of the blue.
As CANON offers no solution to this I hope there is indeed a law suit.

What is going on with this "wrong printhead message".  Called Canon for help and all they told me to do was remove and replace the printhead and maybe that would solve the problem.  If not call the Canon upgrade program and they would give me a good price on a new printer.  Well isn't that nice?!  From what I am reading this is a problem with several printers that they manufacture.  Why has there been no recall on these printers?  They have known for a long time that there is a problem!  Another solution I was given today was to clean the printhead.  That didn't work either!  Is this another case of a big corporation knowing there is a potential problem and they are doing nothing about it?!  What now? I have the Pixma MG7520 and it would appear that I am not alone in my frustrations!

Lightly used MX925 I replaced a couple of empty ink tanksand printed one page. Attempted to make further prints but got a 1403 Wrong Printhead Error. Tried all the suggested remedies wth no success.

I can't even believe that this message exists. Whose printer anywhere would have the wrong printhead installed?

So this issue continues to rumble on, renamed 1405...

Happened to my MG7550 a couple of days ago...

i was prininging out a 30 page document, and it was only when the printer had finished that I realised that something was wrong as only the first 10 pages had any ink on them. The printer had kept going to the end of the print job, it just stopped putting the ink on the pages...

When I tried to reprint the missing pages that’s when the wrong print head 1405 error occurred... and it’s been dead ever since.

The way my issue happened, confirms that there is in fact nothing wrong with the printhead, and something else, possibly more nefarious is going on.

Ordered an Epson to replace it, can’t see me buying another Canon Printer.

Me, too. Can't even understand why that message exists.

Can't contact them without the serial number, can't move this heavy thing around by myself to look for it.

Add the MG6650 to your list

Add the MX712 to that list. My error occurred while I was printing and several of the ink tanks needed to be replaced. I replaced them and then my printer became a useless piece of junk. Although, I suspect it was always a piece of junk and just decided to show it's true colors.

I just finished a call with a representative who offered to sell me a new or refurbished printer. He also denied that this was a widespread issue across numerous printer models. When I specifically asked why Canon wasn't addressing this issue he offered to give me contact information for a local authorized Canon repair service. This is absurd. I have about $100 in new ink that will now go to waste.

This is a production issue and it is one Canon knows about since they are offering no options other than buying new Canon printers or paying the cost of a new Canon printer for repairs I think a class action lawsuit is the best idea. What's to keep them from continuing to make printers with this defect? Nothing.

I'm off to social media to advertise the Canon's terrible customer service and known defects.
Announcements