cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

andreasng
Contributor

I have this. 

I just want to scan but Canon crippleware hinders me!!! This is outrageous. I don't care if I can print! 

jasono
Apprentice

Why doesn't Canon simply modify the firmware to allow using the scanner even with a *WRONG* print head?! Canon brand to be trashed.

SamSpade
Apprentice
Add me to the list. I have just encountered the problem on an MP600. After each print job I must turn off the printer, wait, turn the printer back on and it good for one more print job before I must repeat the process. CANON GIVE US A FIX!

MP 600 After the message took out cartriges, printhead,cleaned  reinserted, realigned,  Was able to scan 2 items  Then error message again   Repeat procedure. over and over and over and over Nothing works!!! This is a computer failure, not a printhead problem.   Has anyone replaced printhead or had help from Canon?  I spent plenty on this and use lightly.   Just bought expensive ink.    Nothing works except camera card reader.

Pinkulo
Apprentice

Count me in. Actually had my MP530 for over 7 years and just got this today , last printed yesterday.  Nothing I do resets it.  If this is some ploy to buy from Canon...it will not work.

My MP530 died w/ U052 after 7 yrs. Hello Consumers Report.

occam49
Apprentice

MX-892 ... 

I'm geting real tired of throw away printers  Seems like every printer I've had in the last few years is POS and craps out before dust even accumulates on it.

Only four sets of cartridges and it's crapped out. I'm getting U052 ... tried all the fix BS and nada ... 

Time to try yet another brand ...  What's the experience with Brother printers? 

I had a Brother all in one. The print head was not replaceable. Once it clogged the printer was toast.

laurag
Apprentice

I just got this error message on my MP610... was hoping for an easy fix, but it sounds like this doesn't exist. Argh... I use my printer all the time and really need a working photo printer!!

They acted very quick after the pms last week ... got a replacement printer today at my door .... of course I think its a downgraded model despite the larger model number, but I'll have to give it a try and see how it compares to the prior model.

Announcements