cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

@OldSkoolTek

That's how mine started.

There is no known fix hence the law suit. There should be another settlement coming up.

Update to my Post

Printer worked for two pages and failed again.

Pulled out the printhead and it was puddled with ink.

Have always used Canon inks so the story of different 3rd party inks does not apply to me.

Error  will not reset am very upset, looking for a new printer now

If you turn it off then turn it back on later sometimes it will let you print a page or two, normally will end up back with the error after a while rigth when you turn it on.

BarataNicotine5
Apprentice

MP610 here. Amazing scanner-printer that worked for nearly 10 years, when one morning a while ago I needed to print out a Greyhound ticket and the U051 screen came up. Apparently it's the same as the U052 bug. Tried the "fix", but like everyone else here, it didn't do anything. Hate to toss it, as it was a workhorse all these years. After reading through this board, I'll be choosing another company for a new unit, though. 

I do hope Canon reads these.

We own a MX780. I really liked this printer. We have had this issue with the print head for the last few years. All we had to do was reseat it occasionally, OR clean it, then reseat it.

As of now (last few days), this no longer works. No matter what we do we cannot get past this error message.

Now... Canon......

The fact that the printer can not apparently print something SHOULD NOT RENDER the printer useless. But alas, your wonderful design engineers chose to create a firmware which causes function blocking. I cannot copy, scan, or fax. There is no valid reason to do this.

Excellent designed in obsolescence.

Also, excellet engineering decisions driving the prosumer to discard your company for any future purchases.

I liked this printer so much I contemplated buying a Pixma 100 or a 9000 or otehr model. After doing a little research, and looking at your prices of $400 for a unit that is near the 870's quality, I quickly decided to NOT buy Canon again.

HP has not impressed me much either, but after reading your 1st grade level "contact us for support" responses for a problem that is clearly RAMPANT, I will never buy your equipment again.

I suspect more and more consumers will steer clear of your brand as well. I will be sure to steer people away from your products. So you have now lost at least $400 from me, my parents, my wifes parents, more than a dozen other family members, and probably a few hundred people at work and in our general daily lives dealing with businesses. So 150 people or so? even at $99 to $500.... you've lost at least $30k....now as those people share their preferences with their family and friends, that number GROWS.

How are your profits? Honesty on the table, the business has issues doesn't it? Designed in obsolescene is only profitable for so long.

Goodbye.

I agree. Just because the print head isn't working that doesn't mean should not be blocked from scanning or printing to a file. I've dumped Canon and will no long purchase their products.

Whenever I go into Best Buy, Office Depot ect, I make sure to steer at least a few people away from Canon printers.  I actually printed up a card with a QR code to give people,  that links to this thread as proof.  I make sure to scatter a few of the cards around the Canon printers before I leave as well 🙂

I have found Epson printers lately to be a nice Canon replacement.  Decent printers with good specifications, and decent ink prices as well.

philbydevil
Apprentice

So the strange solution that has worked for me several times on my MG6150 with this print head error is:

1. Turn on printer.

2. Open cover straight away so you can see the print head and catridges moving.

3. Let it move all the way to the left until just before it dissapears.

4. Close the cover.

5. Problem fixed.

I've probably fixed this error 3 or 4 times like this.

Good luck.

Thank you, I appreciate your message.  I'm happy to try anything to get the printer to work.

I'll let you know if I'm successful!

Sorry philbydevil, tried your suggestion; ...no joy.

Guess I'll be driving to the recycle center to dump this disposible printer and begin researching/purchasing a new printer. 

(Clearly not another Canon product!)  Not how I really wanted to spend my weekend. 

Announcements