cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Sylvie_987
Apprentice

Using my printer Canon mg6220 this morning and got the UO52 Wrong Printhead Error! Is there a bypass to this error yet?

FreddieC
Apprentice

Just happened to me yesterday - reseating the print head etc did not help. New ink and everything. Brick and never canon printers again?

shaval123
Enthusiast
I will NEVER buy any other product from Canon after my horrible printer experience.

I was part of the class action suit and never received anything from it. They have a great scam going on.

Mamagull
Contributor
Welcome to the forum. It has been a few years since I last posted. My canon printer makes for a great anchor.... I wish I could say that it surprises me to see the steady trickle of frustrated Canon printer owners coming to this forum. The fact that there are 1366 posts here should be a clue: Canon has the market in their pocket. They sell products that manage to function as advertised for a year or so then it shuts itself down. In desperation owners think that all of the previous complaints will have resulted in better customer service. Sorry folks. Canon got you too.
The Epson that replaced my anchor continues to give me stellar service.
The only advice that I and those who have hit the U052 wall can give you is this:
Don't waste your time or money listening to techs who will tell you anything except the truth. Send your printer to the local recycling center and replace it with an UP or Epson.

Mamagull
Contributor
replace with an HP... Sorry for the typo

Mamagull
Contributor
You give us hope!

RobbMcRobb
Apprentice

I was about to buy an MX922 printer this week, as it received great reviews from several sources.  But after discovering this crazy printhead error that seems to be common in many of Canon's printer models, I'M GONNA PASS.
I've used Canon cameras for ages, and haven't had significant issues.  But man....HEY CANON!  FIX YOUR PRINTHEAD ISSUE INSTEAD OF PASSING THE HASSLE ONTO YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!  

Seriously.....I'm so glad I came across this forum thread.  Shame on you, Canon.
There's no way I'm gonna take a chance with your printers.

tezzaando
Apprentice

I always buy Cannon Printers. This may need to change. I have a Multifunction unit MG6250 without runnijg out of ink or changing anything it had this U052 Wrong Print Head error. I did exactly what the cannon sight said and nothing changed. If I try to clean the print head (looks ok but I'll try anything now) then see if that works. Printers are cheap enough if this doesn't work I'm buying another brand.

Kimi01
Apprentice
MP530. Followed reset procedures many times. When it does work, printer prints a couple pages then locks up again with same error message. I do not see any recent solutions or actions posted. Are we contacting Canon individually?

mich_pdx
Apprentice
My printer is the Pixma MX922. It happened late December 2017 and the error is 1403. I can't even scan. This is ridiculous!
Announcements