cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

shaval123
Enthusiast
This will probably not work as you can tell by the comments of many who wasted their money trying ngozie a new print head. Better to put that money towards a new non-Canon printer.

I just got this today on my Canon MG7520 - Error Code 1403 - The type of print head is incorrect.  Install the correct print head.  I assume this is the exact same error as what is being reported for the U052 error.  I literally printed 50+ sheets less minutes before the error all of a sudden appeared - now the unit is a brick.  I'm pretty disappointed after having print head issues with my previous Pixma 500 that lead me to buy this printer.  This was pretty top of the line for consumers when I purchased it, and I've owned it now for just over 2 years and it's garbage??  Very disappointing...may be time to move onto a different brand unfortunately 😞

And yes, I've tried the whole "take the ink carts out, remove the print head, re-seat the print head, insert the ink carts, power the machine down, unplug it for 10 minutes"...twice.  It doesn't work.

hisoka7922
Apprentice

MG 5620

support code 1403

I rarely use this printer...

MX922... Same issue with system code 1403. Tried ALL of the suggested fixes to no avail.

dfg818
Apprentice

This printer was perfectly fine until this message.  I have tried all the recommended solutions and looked into replacing the printer head and I see prices ranging from $300+ and $40.  I am skeptical of any other brand than Canon and don't need to waste money if it isn't going to solve the issue.  Has anyone successfully replaced the printhead and solved the issue with the U052 error?  

I bought an MG6800 Canon printer new for less than $50, partially because it used the same printhead and partially because I still have several unused ink cartridges that I wasn't ready to throw away.  I swapped print heads and got the same message.  I'm convinced that this problen can not and WILL not be fixed by Canon.  Don't waste your time or money trying to replace the print head. It still won't work. Good luck.

Jim_Way
Apprentice

Canon Pixma MX850 - Cleaning printheads and error came up on second test page.

I've replaced my Pixma with an Epson.

KBeck
Contributor
When this first happened a few years ago, after Canon had pushed out the initial firmware update that bricked printers with this error, but before the class action lawsuit got started, Canon actually offered a few of us new printers to replace the dead ones, so long as we returned the faulty ones. I, for one, got that offer. But by that time I had thoroughly lost my temper with what had been my favorite printer. I had gone so far as to completely disassemble the thing.. not so crazy when I point out that my day job is troubleshooting random hunks of busted telecom gear right down to the 0402 resistors. In any case, disconnecting and reconnecting every blame wire I could find didn't change things and getting it all back together again, without manuals, was a bear. But having that stupid error pop back up again was a bit much, since the timing of the error message and that "upgrade" was just too much of a coincidence.. I took it out back and took a sledgehammer to it, dumped the remains in the town electronics recycle center, and recycled the paperwork into the paper recycle bin.
A couple months later I got the new printer offer, but, natch, the dead one was very much gone.
The lawyers did their class action bit, got paid millions to go away, and those of us lucky enough to have original receipts from a decade previous (by that time) got a $20 or two.
Since the settlement closed off further plaintiffs past, present, and future, nobody gets anything from Canon except offers at some small discount off of full list price, said discount not being as much as one can get off of new Canons direct from Amazon or Newegg.
I wish to heck and gone that the FTC would go after Canon, since, in my opinion, it's pretty clear that they're purposely bricking working printers in order to create some sales, just like that car window repairman who used to wander the streets of Brooklyn a few back busting out windshields with a crowbar. Not every victim of this idiot went to his shop to get his window fixed, but enough did to make it a worthwhile proposition. Eventually a new-at-the-time surveillance camera caught him in the act and the Brooklyn D.A. and an outraged public saw to it that he spent a few years in the state pen. Which, frankly, I feel that the perps who came up with this scheme at Canon should be doing. It'd be fun to see what discovery by those class action lawyers had come up with, but that stuff is likely sealed by the idiot judge.
KBeck

Thanks for that! There were so many replies, it was too tedious a task to find the key facts and follow the outcome of any action taken, if any. Good to hear there was follow through, though I will not reap any benefit.
Announcements