cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

topdog1098
Apprentice

I'm still having the U052 error on my MP980 & i'm wondering if there has been a solution that wont cost me anymore now that i have bought a new one after i gave up on my old one Smiley Sad & to make things worse im disabled and havent been able to work since my near fatal motorbike crash 7/11/2006 & I had my ex wife now cheat on me in hospital while emptying my bank account of over $600,000

can't we start a petition online to shame canon? or contact canon en masse to complain and threaten legal action?

OldSkoolTek
Apprentice

Numerous owners have the same problem with different printers that incapacitates all functionality with the printer and no fix is available. Am dissatisfied with how this error is such a low priority as more units develop the same error U052. no resolution has been made available.

Have since replaced my Printer with a HP 8725.

Did like my Canon but with the lack of customer service / support I really doubt I will recomend another product by Canon.

I got this error code and if someone doesn't fix it I'm going to EPSON and NEVER coming back to Canon.

printeruser1
Apprentice

Another very dissatisfied MP610 owner with a U052 wrong printhead error.  Replacement printhead bought and installed - no difference.  Locked out of other scan functions etc.

Just posting to add my voice. I thought I was buying premium, reliable quality with Canon. I will certainly never be doing so again and will be recommending against to friends and family at every opportunity.

I have a Pixma MX 715. I print a sheet just fine. Next print job aI had this frustrating and EXPENSIVE error. I attempted the so-called "solutions". As expected, they did not work. This fault is not cause by incorrect cartridges or heads - note that between the print job that worked fine and the one that failed, I have not touched the heads and the first job was fine.

This is an EXPENSIVE error as I cannot easily afford to replace my printer as it's out of warranty.

petersmith36
Apprentice

Hi,

My Canon MP800 has just stopped working with the message "the type of print head is incorrect - install the correct print head" but no code number, but code UO52 appears to be the one applicable to my problem. The printer has worked fine since purchase in 2006 and the print head has not been changed in any way. Followed the Canon service site instructions to remove/replace the print head from start to finish, but to no avail. Canon UK website now tell me that this product is no longer supported and I need to buy one of their latest models. I think that is appalling customer service which is inclined to disuade me from touching Canon again, but this sort of inbuilt fault seems be be deliberate to force us to buy new when our existing printer was otherwise working fine - and what do we do with all the spare replacement inks we have bought at extortionate prices for the quantity of ink in each container? So disappointing to throw away a good printer because the manufacturer makes it fail after a certain period for a reason that is not true, and apparently non repaiable, and refuses to help with any appreciable empathy. I understand that HP employ similar tactics with their printers.

Regards to all,

Peter.

I moved on a few months ago....take a deep breath, buy a different printer from one the many great products out there (other than Canon) and never look back. I would go without a printer before I ever bought a Canon again.

JimBobs63
Apprentice

I've just had this problem start today after a couple of years without problems.  Tried removing/washing/reinstalling the print head but no joy.

Currently waiting with the printer unplugged from power for 10 minutes to see if that solves it.

Alsdo checked online to find that a replacement print head appears to cost around £100. And even then from what I've read it isn't guaranteed to solve the problem.

Not happy!!

Message to Canon:  This problem has obviously been going on for over 3 years now according to all these posts - this needs to be sorted out - IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

Nope - Waiting 10 minutes with power off has not worked! Now very angry!!!

If I end up having to buy a new printer, it WILL NEVER BE A CANON AGAIN!!!!!!

Announcements