cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

AmICannonFodder
Apprentice

hello, i'm sorry to say I have to add myself to the surprisingly long list of unhappy Canon customers who have been affected by this U052 error issue, rendering my Canon MP540 printer absolutely useless, plus the wasted investment in ink cartridges.  My daughter is in the middle of her final school exams in the last year of her schooling and was distressed not to be able to do some vital printing when needed.  Hardly leaves a good impression of this brand for a young person who would be a potential customer for a lifetime, not to mention older folk such as her parents.  Any compensation or response, Canon?  Or do you think you can easily get new customers to replace all of these apparently now diehard anti-Canon consumers on this forum?

http://www.canoninkjetprintersettlement.com/

Read and follow instructions.

thanks did not think about that will try.

@AmICannonFodder wrote:

hello, i'm sorry to say I have to add myself to the surprisingly long list of unhappy Canon customers who have been affected by this U052 error issue, rendering my Canon MP540 printer absolutely useless, plus the wasted investment in ink cartridges.  My daughter is in the middle of her final school exams in the last year of her schooling and was distressed not to be able to do some vital printing when needed.  Hardly leaves a good impression of this brand for a young person who would be a potential customer for a lifetime, not to mention older folk such as her parents.  Any compensation or response, Canon?  Or do you think you can easily get new customers to replace all of these apparently now diehard anti-Canon consumers on this forum?

I have been following this for months and I really think Canon regards us as disposable, they have more customers than they can serve properly, that's probably why they neglect their long time customers, I for one own quite a few of their products and have found them to be of very high quality,before this notorious incident I found Canon very hard to deal with, even getting help to use their products was near impossible.  The instructions with Canon products seem way to compuclated, it seems most are simply machine translations that don't apply in english.  One thing they do have is good, solid well made products giving the very best rendering of what ever we have, photos, scanning, printing, on and on, one thing they don't have is loyalty and customer service.  What you get is the very best you can buy, when it fails, you are on your own.  If Canon could blend the two together they would be one might powerful company, no one would look else where once they bought a Canon product, as for now we are forced to look else where simply out of good logic.

May God bless you and Canon

Who know, even Canon can change

Jim

There is nothing on the Horizon that says Canon will change its business model or treatment of loyal customers. That's why we NEED cpmpetition ... and we have it.

Personally, I will NOT give Canon permission to do this again ... at least not to me. I followed up with them - technical support, customer service and headquarters administration. Canon is only looking to minimize the damage and keep doing what it has been doing.

The heart of their printer products, the print head, has been failing in scores of models. They did NOTHING for their customers until they face a Class Action Lawsuit. Now they HAVE TO. That's all you need to know about Canon!

johngaudiphx
Apprentice
So I had read that Cannon was contacting people to replace their printers. Have they since stopped doing that? bc I have not been contacted. My first post was several weeks ago. Every day I get a lil more frustrated.😤

They never contacted me, been over a year since i posted

Nobody ever contacted me and I was in the class act from the start.

Hi! Is the Class Action Suit still active? If so, how would I go about joining? My printer just crapped out with this same print head error and we JUST invested in new ink only a couple of weeks ago. Worked fine after changing them until it just randomly decided to die, and I have no money for a new printer right now. I am irate. Thank you for the help!

I was late to the party too, missed out.

Fortunately I was able to buy a used MX870 for (quite) cheap to replace my MX870 with the U052 problem. Probably will buy an Epson next once the print cartidges run out.

Announcements