cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

zoom and shutter button problems

Andreabirder
Apprentice

Hi all,   My Canon SX60 is only 2.5 years old and I am having problems with it and wondering if anyone had the same.  Sometimes, the zoom lens gets stuck and will not come out, or once it's out, won't come back in.  I have to play around wiht the knob.  The other issue is with the shutter button .  I press it to take the photo and at random times, it will not press down so I cannot take the photo.  This  happens regardless of whether or not the zoom is out or in.  When and if it finally does take the photo, there is a long delay and then the shot finally goes through.  The camera also seems to lock up and the only way to reset it is to shut it off.  I am really disappointed with the camera, especially since it is not that old.  Any suggestions on why this may be happening.  

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

John_
Authority

Sorry to hear your having that problem. I've had similar Canon cameras apart and am familiar with that zoom-shutter combo switch. The switch itself is both mechanical and activates electrical responses like the zoom and shutter and either or both might be to blame. You could have some dirt or sand inside the switch causing the button not to press down or the switch internally has failed perhaps broken.

Underneath the switch is a flexible printed circuit board that the mechanical parts of the zoom and shutter switch activate. That board could have failed or I have seen those boards come loose in which case the mechanical switch no longer makes contact at all or intermittent contact at times. That would not explain your shutter switch not able to be pressed down. That most likely is either dirt or a failure of the switch.

Having said all that here is what I would try. First take a vacuum and suction out that switch while moving the zoom lever and pressing the shutter button in hopes or removing any dirt inside. Test it's operation if Ok then let it be. If not then get some DeoxIT® Gold G100L, Squeeze Tube soluttion. Drop a couple drops inside the switch and work the lever and button then test it out. You can get the Deoxit spray but you have less control over the application. It is completely safe for all plastics and rubber but you don't want it getting into the lens or sensor so cover the rest of the camera and be careful, pratice first.

Your last resort is sending it in for service

John, Thank you so much!  I am going to try your suggestions today.  

my shutter is frozen stiff, will not budge -  and I have no dirt inside.  What do I do to loosen it?

@evelinemessina wrote:

my shutter is frozen stiff, will not budge -  and I have no dirt inside.  What do I do to loosen it?

Contact Canon Support, and hope for the best.  Many of the older compact point and shoot cameras can be bought used for less than the cost of a repair.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I did all the cleaning of dust, dirt, etc. that I could do, still the button is stuck.  Do you have a video showing what one can do to get it to be able to push the shutter button and it unstucks?   No camera stores anywhere around for 50 miles.

Eveline Messina, goodheart25@comcast.net - 530-647-2107.

Announcements